Spatchcock chicken on WSM?

NeilH

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What temp do you cook it and do you cook it skin side down or up?
Also what internal temp in the breast am I looking for? Thanks.

I generally cook mine at 300, and take it off when the IT of the breast is at 160, and the IT of the legs and thighs are at 170. It generally takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to cook through. I usually cook the chicken with the skin up throughout the whole cook. I normally take the skin off, so for me it doesn't matter if the skin is completely crisp.

I do spatch in my WSM Mini @ 325-350 and they are the best i've ever had anywhere..hands down. Skin goes up.

Make sure no water in your pan....personally i'd take the pan out altogether for a chicken on a WSM

I will be doing with pan out. Gonna set the guru at 325 and let it ride.

I do spatch in my WSM Mini @ 325-350 and they are the best i've ever had anywhere..hands down. Skin goes up.

Make sure no water in your pan....personally i'd take the pan out altogether for a chicken on a WSM

This^

If you leave the skin on, I always flip it skin down the last few minutes to crisp it up. Either that or throw it on the gasser. I love crispy skin!

I do mine around 300 as well
always brine mine overnight

I cook them at 325 as well but I foil the water pan.

Wouldn't you run the risk of flare ups by removing the water pan?

I cook them at 325 as well but I foil the water pan.

Wouldn't you run the risk of flare ups by removing the water pan?
No there is enough distance from the top rack to the coals. The flavor is off the hook good.

The only time you could have any flare is when the lid is off giving oxygen to the fire and that would only happen if you had several chickens on dripping a ton of drippings.

Back