• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Xmas Tamales aka Tomales

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time. I did a batch of tamales (tomales :mrgreen:) on Xmas eve. 137 of them to be exact, all solo, all pork. Hadn't previously done a batch in almost 2 years and will never again do that many solo. The only thing I did different this year, was take heed to a post from about a year ago from Third Eye Wayne - to over season the meat before steaming because of the effect that steaming has on the flavor of the finished product. And that advice, as I said a year ago, was as good as gold.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 201
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 201
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 201
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 201
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 201
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 202
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 201
  • f.JPG
    f.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 202
  • h.JPG
    h.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 202
I assume you made so many in order to be able to FedEx a pair to the first fifty people that respond to this thread. :thumb: Thanks! I'll take two.

:p

That is onw awesome looking bin of tamales - send some my way please!

Whoo Hoo! I'd hit a few of those for sure! Don't forget to fix em for breakfast with an egg on top. YUMMY! I'll be making some next week.

Bob

Hey everyone. Long time. I did a batch of tamales (tomales :mrgreen:) on Xmas eve. 137 of them to be exact, all solo, all pork. Hadn't previously done a batch in almost 2 years and will never again do that many solo. The only thing I did different this year, was take heed to a post from about a year ago from Third Eye Wayne - to over season the meat before steaming because of the effect that steaming has on the flavor of the finished product. And that advice, as I said a year ago, was as good as gold.

Welocme to the asylum, newcomer! :rolleyes:

You should go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself! :becky:

El Guapo makes some good product. They sell some good dried peppers. I'm noticing a different rolling up technique with the husks than the technique we use. Could you maybe post one that kinda shows how you rolled it up? I'm liking the way it looks.

Bob

Very impressive! My neighbor makes them every Christmas Eve as well and always send some over to my wife (and I).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TK! Welcome back and belated Merry Christmas to you!

Great lookin' tamales there!

Good eats for sure I'm making 2 dzn for new years. 137.... my hands hurt just thinking about it, being a tamale connoisseur & critic you need to send me a few:becky:

El Guapo makes some good product. They sell some good dried peppers. I'm noticing a different rolling up technique with the husks than the technique we use. Could you maybe post one that kinda shows how you rolled it up? I'm liking the way it looks.

Bob

Best way to explain it is by using the photo of the un-rolled tamale with the ingredients laying in. Like rolling a burrito, fold one long end fairly tightly over the ingredients, once. now fold the bottom of the hoja upwards to form the bottom of the tamale. Then continue rolling the long end. The masa will bond well enough to the edge of the other long end.

Don't forget the bacon grease in the masa. The lard is a decoy :wink: I normally use a 50:50 mixture of bacon grease and lard. This year was a little heavier on the bacon grease. I started with 24# of cubed boneless butt, not sure what the weight was after cooking. Also a full blender (40 oz of paste) of reconstituted chilies, garlic, salt, sugar

A friend of ours makes tamales to sell every Christmas. This year she made 100 dozen. Yep 1200 tamales. Delivered all of them in 2 hours.

Back