BBQ Brethren "Mini" Throwdown

I have 3 cookers that meet the criteria of “Mini” for this throwdown and I hard time deciding which to use.

So I wedged a 5 lb vertical chicken rubbed with a mix of SM Cherry and SM Season All on the Small BGE along with some red potatoes, red onions, gooseneck squash, and carrots
IMG_9533.jpg

which is a pretty tight fit
IMG_9529.jpg

brined a couple of Cornish game hens and lightly seasoned with the same mix of Simply Marvelous rubs and spatchcocked one on the WGA
IMG_9530.jpg

and cooked the other one beer can style on the Mini BGE along with more veggies
IMG_9539.jpg

The “little ones” made for a pretty tasty dinner
IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg

I strugged to pick a bird for a TD vote pic as the butterflied chicken has better color but I couldn't resist sharing my first (& hopefully last) time to post a TD pic with a V8 :crazy:. Hmmm, I think I may have found my ticket to the elusive Zero's club.
IMG_9551.jpg

Smokey Joe Porkchops

Well, I managed to find some center cut porkchops with some really decent fat content.:grin:
What to do? GRILL! They were rubbed with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction (Great on pork!) and allowed to sit in the fridge overnight. After bringing up to room temp it was time to fire up the Smokey Joe. I set up the Joe indirect with a small foil pan and some more foil to have about 1/3 area for the 1/3~1/2 chimney of lit coals. The chops were seared on both sides then cooked indirect. At 120 IT I glazed the chops with Big Ron's BBQ Sauce. This stuff is the a perfect compliment to the Sweet Seduction as it's very savory with a touch of sweet and a little heat. (Get some of this as well as the SMSS - you will NOT be disappointed) After the chops went a little further they were flipped and the second side was glazed and cooked to 145 (Meant to pull at 140 but, well, you know) and then foiled and rested while Redhot finished the sweet tater fries and some King's Hawiian rolls. There were no leftovers.

Here's some pics. Sorry about the focus.:roll:

chops.jpg

chops1.jpg

chops2.jpg

chops3.jpg

chops5.jpg

chops4.jpg

chops7-1.jpg

chops8.jpg

chops9.jpg

chops11.jpg

chops12.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I'm expecting a "Focus dammit! Focus!" comment at any time now. :rolleyes:
What's this "focus" of which you speak?:confused: Great looking chops by the way!:thumb:

R2, that chicken looked great, except for one thing...

I couldn't help but notice that some time during the cook the chickens head either fell off or blew out through the lid and you did not explain that or provide any pictures.

Signed,
Confused in Kansas.

Those chops were some of the best I've ever had I must say...the pix do NOT do them justice either, they were absolutely perfect looking in person! And that Big Ron's sauce was wonderful!

What's this "focus" of which you speak?:confused: Great looking chops by the way!:thumb:

R2, that chicken looked great, except for one thing...

I couldn't help but notice that some time during the cook the chickens head either fell off or blew out through the lid and you did not explain that or provide any pictures.

Signed,
Confused in Kansas.

Dear Confused in Kansas,

Rest assured that the chicken did not lose its head. As you can see from this pic, it did make it through the cook (although a little more "tanned" than I would like) with its head:
IMG_9555.jpg

:!: CAUTION: The chicken and the game hen pictured above have bones which can be a choking hazard. :attention:

NOTE: This picture is not a throwdown entry but merely provided to serve as a warning of the hazards of eating bone-in chicken and to ease concerns over headless chicken.

Last edited:
Well, there goes my idea to redo my pork chop TD entry. :doh:

CD

I actually found a relatively in-focus pic!

Well, OK, Redhot did. She went into the uploads from this morning and found this:

td1.jpg

Which I'd like to use for the Vote thread Chris.

Well it was a better pic at least, not sure how he missed it this morning but still does not do the actual chops justice! But the only other in focus pic was this...:becky:

noleftovers.jpg

Back