Fiberglass Door Gasket and Gasket Cement

J

jimymc

I have read where several people have been trying to eliminate unwanted drafts using fiberglass gasket material on smoker doors. It seems that finding the right size gasket and way to attach it can be difficult. The Lehman Hardware store in Kidron, Ohio has 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 inch fiberglass gasket material and fireproof gasket cement for attaching it. Their web site is at: www.lehmans.com and tel.1-877-438-5346. They are located in the middle of Amish country and so carry a lot of unusual old timey non-electric equitment. If you should want a wood burning stove to go with your grill or smoker... they've got 'em.

For those of you seeking gasket material and cement, Check it out!

Great!..... Ive been looking around here locally for this. My last resort is to try a fireplace/furnace type store. I tried Northern Tool & Equipment store but they wont have anything like that til winter. If I cant find anything locally I will order some online.
Thanks for the info

I found some at a local hardware store, it was the 3/8 and a tube of cement. I had almost given up trying to find it and was on the verge of ordering online. Actually the guy at Lowes in town reccomended this store, and lo and behold they HAD some!!
I also got a roll of the gasket stuff that the Big Green Egg cooker has around its lid at the Barbecues Galore store. I was going there anyway and found that. It is flat so it may work well around the offset firebox in my Chargriller.

Used to use that in my older model smokers and it didn't last as long as what I use now. I use a Tadpole type gasket that can be easily replaced when worn out.

Spice

spicewine said:
Used to use that in my older model smokers and it didn't last as long as what I use now. I use a Tadpole type gasket that can be easily replaced when worn out.

Spice

Where are tadpole gaskets sold?

Tadpole gasketing material is a way to provide a seal. For purposes here, it would be like the material seen on the inside of an oven door to prevent heat loss. Tadpole gasketing can be used for a variey of low pressure/high temperature applications. Can usually withstand heat up to or in excess of 2000 degrees depending on material.

A variety of industrial supply distributors can provide this material in various thicknesses. lengths, coatings etc. I know my company MSC sells some tadpole gasketing..

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4458&PARTPG=N2DRVSH&PMT4NO=0&PMITEM=31949241&PMCTLG=00&PMT4TP=*LTIP

If you look in your area you may also be able to buy direct from a local gasket/packing supplier that may have the material in stock as well.

Is it really necessary to block off all the leaks in tha average backyard smoker......mine smokes from all corners and still does a fine job.

jpw23 said:
Is it really necessary to block off all the leaks in tha average backyard smoker......mine smokes from all corners and still does a fine job.

I think you are correct sir. I did the door gasket mod. It didn't take too long to get brittle and fall off. Did not replace it because it didn't do much, if anything for me regarding fuel consumption or temperature control.

Kevin said:
I think you are correct sir. I did the door gasket mod. It didn't take too long to get brittle and fall off. Did not replace it because it didn't do much, if anything for me regarding fuel consumption or temperature control.

Thats kinda what I thought.....I'm not trying to heat my house with this thing, just cook a piece of meat....I can however see advantages for the pro guys but, they have much better equipment than I do.

Whoe....look at that.....I just became a farker!!!!

jpw23 said:
Whoe....look at that.....I just became a farker!!!!

Way to go farker.
I'm just doing a quick glance on my way out the door to work. My belly hurts from laughing at these guys. Not easy to do at 5:30 AM.

Back