Health inspection tomorrow

BeaglesBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have my first health inspection tomorrow. taking my rig and all my wares to the commercial kitchen to set up. i asked the inspector if she wanted things hot etc and she said no. My question is, what should i be expecting then if she isnt going to be testing my cooker for temps and whatnot. I already took and passed the servsafe course with flying colors, am i going to have to go thru a Q and A with her perhaps? I am getting really nervous and just looking for any info that could ease my mind a little.

hey there:
watching this thread close....in the same boat in the next few weeks. I went a different route that i hope works. Bought a small stepvan, fitted it with sinks and fridge to do all prep and selling from. All cooking done on my trailer. I think it all depends on how serious you appear to the inspector. Friends tell me the 3 main inspectors dont want to put there stamp of approval on some backyard cook. they think you will use your house to cook in after they approve you. I wish you luck my friend.....I know im nervous too

Last edited:
For me, the inspector came to my house.

We made sure the fridge was cold, the warmers were on, and there was hot water for when he arrived.

He felt the temp of the hot water and measured the temps of the fridge and warmers with a therometer.

Our guy didn't ask many questions at all but provided a lot of handouts about handwashing, outdoor cooking, and the way to shelve items in the fridge.

I was all kinds of nervous before he arrived but after visiting with him, he just wanted to make sure we were serving safe food.

Do it the right way and you will be fine.

For me, the inspector came to my house.

We made sure the fridge was cold, the warmers were on, and there was hot water for when he arrived.

He felt the temp of the hot water and measured the temps of the fridge and warmers with a therometer.

Our guy didn't ask many questions at all but provided a lot of handouts about handwashing, outdoor cooking, and the way to shelve items in the fridge.

I was all kinds of nervous before he arrived but after visiting with him, he just wanted to make sure we were serving safe food.

Do it the right way and you will be fine.

Exactly my experience. She told me to have the fridges on and hot water. She gave me no smoking stickers, and the official hand wash sign. Some other handouts. Then she went to her car and printed me my passed inspection report. The official sealed copy came in the mail.

I am now permitted!:D It was a cake walk. She just looked at my rig, asked me to walk her thru my process and that was it.

I dont think it hurt me that there was a disgustingly dirty local taco truck with a equally dirty and foul mouthed operator parked next to me at the kitchen. She looked at my stuff and looked at him and said " i am going to have problems with this one"

Feels good to be legit and doing things the right way and not trying to slip past with the bare essentials. Now all thats left is the business license and insurance which is really just paperwork.

Keep Smokin,
Josh

Glad to hear you got through the inspection. It is really a lot easier that most people think. The ones that are complaining are the ones that are doing it wrong.

Back