• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dillard here we come (Merged Dillard, GA Threads)

Tim,
I just wanted you to know that Kate keeps asking to go back to Mr. T and Dave's house! Congrats on the chicken, and for what its worth, the pork and brisket were pretty damn good. Good luck down south.
Noah

I managed to squeeze a 10 hour drive into 12 hours! Made it home about 10 pm Sunday night - I love driving down the mountain in a storm. :D

Great little cookoff they have in Dillard! Beautiful location, yada yada! Really! :D They do need to work on the water issue - there were a lot of really cheeses teams at 2 pm Saturday afternoon with NO WATER for cleanup. Anyway, they promised to work on it.

Entries turned out good - taste, tenderness, etc. The ribs were, as is usual for us, a bit on the "done" side. They zippered off the bone instead of "bite" but the taste was good and texture was fine - just not what we needed on Saturday afternoon. Basically, the ribs fell off the face of the earth!

We had some issues with the chicken but are content with 8th - a check would have been nice! :D But walking with the regional and national talent at this event was very nice.

Brisket and pork were disappointing from a results standpoint. We'll tweak but not so much with seasoning, etc. but with timing and the presentation.

Next up is indeed Key Largo, FL, in November. Since the "big boys" will be in Douglas, GA, and Jacksonville, FL, we just might be able to sneak in higher placement!

Thanks to Tim, of course, for partnering with me. Jimmy - I don't know what to say - I understand the frustration of driving all those hours for diddly-squat. Hang tough and focus on the next event! :D

Noah, it was nice to meet you and Miss Kay! Too bad duty called - we had plenty of meat for you to taste!

Congrats to Kevin for 3rd overall, and to Byron for Grand, Myron managed to squeak into Reserve! :D Lot's of talent - I'd like to try this one again.

Thanks for the kind words Dave…
Our schedule for the rest of the year will be:
Grant, Mulberry, Minneola, St.Cloud, Key Largo & Plant City.
Just a bad day so don’t count me out.

We're focusing our $$$ toward Key Largo but I may judge Mulberry and Minneola. I'm probably going to get to the KCBS CBJ class just before Plant City so I may be able to judge it, too. We'll see. We need a payday or Tim's going back to retirement and homebrewing! :D

Not in it for the $$$$
Key Largo may suprise you.
I heard alot of noise about a few biguns skipin Douglas to try for a 1st place in Key Largo.

smokincracker said:
Not in it for the $$$$
Key Largo may suprise you.
I heard alot of noise about a few biguns skipin Douglas to try for a 1st place in Key Largo.
Certainly figured they would.
"Qualifiers" always draw a talented crowd.

We never expect to win GC or RGC.
Dream, sure. Expect--no way.

We just must grab a couple of small "placing" checks to help defray some of the expenses. That is all.

The 100% "out of pocket" thing is not in the budget.
No deep pockets here :oops:

With my Moderator hat on:
We are wandering away from Dillard Thread here with the judging and $$ posts. May need to open new thread unless this part dies here. Good topics--just not Dillard.

TIM

I hear ya bro.
That bad arse MotorHome and New sweeeet cooker matching hats and aprons are foolin me...You guys are doin it in style.

Don't get me wrong a few $ in prise money is awsome.
I just don't expect it! 8)

nmayeux said:
I was a little confused about Dave and Tim's "payday." I want do do some judging next year so that I can get some experience on both sides of the table. I want to do this for the challange, and maybe for a little cash and bragging rights (In my dreams!). I have 30 years to catch up with Tim, but its never too early to start. Oh, if we wanted to break off into a new thread, how do you do that? My appologies to the Moderator in Charge for the hijack!
Noah
Noah,
Not a hijack at all. :lol:
This is the simple "evolution" of a tread into new areas that deserve their own thread.
That way, the new stand-alone topic does not get lost in the mass of the origonal topic.

One of us will split this (or do something) later tonight.

TIM

First off, congrats on the walk.......it was time you got to show off the Brethren colors and your cooking talents. Proud of you....

Dave & Tim,
Awesome finish in chicken :D Anytime you get to walk with the likes of some of those competitors its a good weekend.Sounds like ya'll had a great time.Hated that we missed it.

Willy T.

smokincracker said:

I hear ya bro.
That bad arse MotorHome and New sweeeet cooker matching hats and aprons are foolin me...You guys are doin it in style.

Don't get me wrong a few $ in prise money is awsome.
I just don't expect it! 8)
Jimmy,
Appearances are deceiving sometimes :lol:

RV is for sale--it will pull your trailer if you can keep her under 5000 lbs :lol:
PM me and I will fix you right up :lol:
RV is not "Hobby Budget" money. She is part of ongoing family budget and not part of team expenses.
At Dillard and Mobile, she was "cost effective" at $150 extra for gas and fees. We could sleep and eat quality meals for $50/day. Not a luxury item at all. When she is sold and gone, we will be back to trying to sleep in van and explorer, cooking on the firebox, and shaving and showering when we get home :twisted:

Cooker was bought by Dave for catering. Not part of team budget. I am just glad we can use it on the road as a legal cooker!

Hats and aprons were a gift from ParrotHead when we started. Thanks Greg!

The cost of competing with just meats, fees, supplies, and travel eats up my "BBQ Budget" quickly--for sure :lol:

BBQ finances would change quickly with just a couple of low paying walks to help stop the hemmorging :lol:

TIM

Just to let you know how the Brethren get noticed. I'd emailed Jane, the organizer of the event, a week or so ago to see if I could schmooze the entry list from her - so I could buy enough crying towels for Tim and me! We wound up with golf bag crying towels in the "goodie" bag! :D

Tim,
Great pictures, and I'm glad you got one of the Kingfisher. The ones I have do not show this cooker very well. I wish you had one of the rotisserie in action, as it was pretty amazing.
Noah

Back