Beginning to Get Frustrated with Ribs

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I need to vent a little. I'm getting frustrated with my ribs. Last summer, I competed with a team up in Mason City in late July. It was my first time with this team and wanted to show what I could do, so on Friday night, I cooked 2 racks of spare for dinner and an "audition". They were the best darn ribs I've ever cooked. Hands down, the best ever for me. The guys I was with told me they were great.................and now that's my problem. I can't seem to get back to that moment.

I keep records of each cook making sure to write down, what temp, how long, woods, rubs, bastes, etc. I'm cooking on a WSM is a DigiQII. Cook temperature is 250º on the top rack. I've tried them with and without foil and I think the ones without the foil are slightly better.

I know that consistency comes with repetition (practice) and I've been doing my share this winter, but it seems that I'm missing something. I'm replicating the same thing between practice sessions, but I'm not able to repeat what I did that one time using the same recipe.

Today, I cooked 3 racks of St. Louis ribs on my WSM at 250º with the DigiQII. They looked really nice, but after 6 hours, they weren't quite tender enough. I did not foil any of these racks. My wife said they were good, but not perfect and I know she was right. I was afraid that if I let them go much longer, I was going to risk them drying out. In the "memorable" cook, I only cooked them for 5:15 minutes, not 6:00 hours.

Since insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome, I've decided that I'm going to increase my temp from 250º to 275º and try and cut down some of the time on the smoker. Am I crazy for doing this?

Thanks for letting me vent. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Increasing your temp will effect cooking time but I will share with you the best piece of advice I got on the circuit last season: there is no secret formula that will give perfect ribs via the same steps each time. At competition it is all about the adjustments you make. Some cooks you won't need to foil. Some cooks you get 4 hours in and they aren't tender enough so you do foil. Keep in mind not every pig is built the same thus every rack of ribs is different.

Ditto what Hank said. I coooked 2 racks of baby backs today on my WSM and was very disappointed in the outcome. Tenderness wise they were perfect but just blah in flavor. This is what makes BBQ'ing so much fun, chasing that perfect cook. :)

I am having the same issue. I believe that it is the meat that we are getting this time of year. JMO
I have cooked the past 2 weekends on both st louies and loin backs and getting varied results.

They just dont all turn out the same. We follow the same exact steps each and every time out, cooking 4-6 slabs per competition. If we can get 1 (maybe 2) racks that we think are perfect, it's a good day.

At our last competition, the first two racks we attempted to slice and box, just didnt have what we were OK with turning in. Luckily the third rack did.

I agree with Swede. You cant cook exactly the same way every time and expect the same results 100% of the time.

Matt, I think your going the wrong way. Try a temp around 230° or 235° and cook them longer. 5 to 6 hours, more if they need it.

Everyone knows you have to boil them first.

"They're done ... when they're done."
We're with Ray though, we may see 6hrs on ribs when they need it.

What is it that you aren't liking about your current ribs? Just the tenderness?

Since insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome, I've decided that I'm going to increase my temp from 250º to 275º and try and cut down some of the time on the smoker. Am I crazy for doing this?

Thanks for letting me vent. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

No, you're not insane, you're just still learning. I could not really tell after reading you post what was "different". That's something you need to learn how to taste and adjust as needed.

Keep in mind there is a BIG difference between each cook. It's a different pig. Seriously. Sounds like you're trying to cook these like a recipe, set time, set temp, set result.

What you need to learn is how to adjust in the last hour to 30 min. Knowing when to pull this isn't a time thing, it's a result thing.

One thing I would add to your notes is how much each rack weighed. Doing a 2.5 lb st. louis and a 3.5 lb st. louis can be an hour or two difference in finishing, depending on temp.

Foil is a must to get the perfect comp rib IMO, 2.5hours of smoke 1.5 hours foiled, 1 hour to set the glaze. We get good ribs almost everytime. We start our ribs at 7am

Maybe it has to do with you cooked two racks one time and three the next. Takes longer with three:?:

Foil is a must to get the perfect comp rib IMO, 2.5hours of smoke 1.5 hours foiled, 1 hour to set the glaze. We get good ribs almost everytime. We start our ribs at 7am

I agree with jacked up. We pretty much do the same, however we
have it spend a little less than 2.5 hours on smoke... I guess we just
prefer it a little less smokey, personal preferences & all.

Looks like everybody has their method and follows it. I use a basic 3-2-1 for comp ribs. I adjust temps in the final hour. I attended the Lotta Bull class so that's how I wrap. A lot like Johnny as well (also took his class). I cook on the FE at around 250.

If you are cooking other meats or were cooking other meats at your original cook that might have something to do with it.

I suggest foil for comp ribs but it's your call. Keep trying. Each time change one variable and as you get close to done you can tweak the process. In the end it will be your rib process.

Last edited:
Supplier of ribs, (swift, etc) fat content %, fresh or frozen, time between kill date and cook date.. All are variables too.

Just chiming in to drive the message home. Made 6 slabs yesterday and had to adjust the total cook time to get the perfect ribs. Of the 6 slabs that all had the same cooking time, there were 2 racks that were perfect, and the rest were good but not turn-in good. I pulled them all 40 minutes earlier than originally planned because all signs pointed to DONE.

I do 3-2-1 at about 215 at the grate.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It sometimes helps to hear that others are finding similar results.

I hadn't given much thought to the weight of the ribs. Looking back on it, it makes a lot of sense and sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious. That is one variable that I don't write down in my cook notes, but I think it will be for future cooks.

I do have one other question that might seem a little off, but do any of you temp your ribs? The reason I ask is that I read on that other forum that ribs were perfect when they hit 205ºF. Just wondering out loud.

Thanks again for everyone' responses.

Never took a temp of mine. I just poke them with a skewer. If it slides in nice and easy I take them off.

Back