Chicken appearance ?

Big D BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Could I please get some advice on building a better looking box? This is from Minnesota in May (Backyard) so no garnish is allowed. I did wrap the bones well with aluminum foil, but they still got darker than I liked. Any help or advice would be helpful. Finished 5th of 25 with these lolly's but want to improve.

Thanks,

Hard Water Barbecue

Attachments

• MIM 2018 Chicken.jpg
    MIM 2018 Chicken.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 482
My quick thoughts....try taking a wet rag or paper towl and cleaning up the bones. Can't tell you if sauced them but think about a quick dunk in a thin sauce and maybe back on to just set it and then in the box. I like the arrangement myself.

It is a pretty good looking box to begin with, but you could take some small, sharp scissors, I have a small pair of Friskars pointed scissors I use for boxing, and trim off some of the dark spots. Like the 2nd piece from the left has a line of dark skin. What your trying to get is even color, so make sure you apply your rub very evenly. As the gentleman said above, you might hit it with some sauce.

No garnish is harder that it sounds. I would have taken meat from some extra legs and pulled it, lightly sauced and use it as a bed. The legs themselves need a light sauce or glaze to make them look more appetizing. They look dry as it is, even it they weren’t.

Looks like it needs sauce. Fill the box more, and I wouldn't box at an angle like that. Here's a box I did a few years ago, but with a lettuce garnish.
Picture got rotated when attached to post.i did not wrap the bones, but always trimmed the exposed joint.

Attachments

• Chicken Med City 2014.jpg
    Chicken Med City 2014.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 412
You don't need to sauce, I would be eager to get at those just as they are. You do need to remove the little nodules and dark spots.
Taste and tenderness are you goals here, appearance is the smallest score.
Your doing well.
Ed

Great job this weekend! Hope ya'll had fun on the backyard side. As others mentioned, a thinned down sauce will help. Great thing about lollipops is that the bone 'handle' makes it very easy for you to dunk each piece in a large cup/bowl/pan of sauce instead of brushing it on. That will help your appearance a lot. You only need to set the sauce on the smoker for about 10 min. Looks like your's got a little dark. Keep at it, looks great!

Sorry, just getting back to this. Average of the 6 judges was 7.66 App 8 Taste 8.33 Tenderness

Thanks for the comments, so the advice I received:

Thinner sauce, don't let it set up so long. Check
Fill up the box. Check
Clean up the bones / dark spots. Check
Remove the nodules... I'm not quite sure how to do that, do you cut them off with a hacksaw, or what?

Thanks again.

Sorry, just getting back to this. Average of the 6 judges was 7.66 App 8 Taste 8.33 Tenderness

Thanks for the comments, so the advice I received:

Thinner sauce, don't let it set up so long. Check
Fill up the box. Check
Clean up the bones / dark spots. Check
Remove the nodules... I'm not quite sure how to do that, do you cut them off with a hacksaw, or what?

Thanks again.

Get a poultry shears. I have a pair of cuisinart that I really like.

Back