Need the Info to get started.

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We like to play competetive cooking up here in NE, but it seems that lately the elders on the team are more concerned promoting the business with the cooker ( cooker looks like a cement mixer with the co. logo) than actually entering cookoffs where we don't have the judges bought. Am planning to secede, and do some real amatuer cooking but don't know about sanctioning and stuff. Have all the equipt, just neeed the Brothers to let me know what I need to go some where besides the Annual VFD Cookoff.

Not quite sure what you're asking. Are you looking for events in your area, rules, or what kind of stuff you should bring?

Not quite sure what you're asking. Are you looking for events in your area, rules, or what kind of stuff you should bring?
Sanctioning, Amateur events, and some of the fine print things. Do I need insurance of any kind? Do I really need a sponsor to start? What kind of yen are talking for entry fees?

If you're talking about organizing your own event I can't really help ya there but I'm sure someone else can point you in the right direction.
If you're talking about entering events then you don't need insurance (maybe if you're going to vend?) or a sponsor. Entry fees around here go around 175 bucks per team for a 20x20 spot, 50 bucks for an additional space, 35 more for electric. Water's usually included. We usually blow 700 bucks or so per contest, all things considered. That includes a lot of beer though. :wink:
HTH.

Do you belong to a sanctioning group for comps? Don't really hear of a Ne BBQ'ers Assoc. or anything. I hear Ks has a great array of events for amateurs. Don't feel confident enough to run with big dogs yet. Looking for smaller events.

Check the KCBS website you might be able to find sanctioned events in your area.

go to www.kcbs.us check the calendar. Pick a month and grab a map.

Here's one in September
09/07 - 09/08
Fairbury, NE
State Championship
Little Blue BBQ
Phone: 402-729-3000 Fax: 402-429-3076
E-mail: fairburychamber@diodecom.net
KCBS Reps: PRICE TOM, ASHFORD SONNY

another
09/14 - 09/15
West Point, NE
State Championship
Last Fling til Spring BBQ Contest
Contact: Elwood Moore or Tina Welding, 231 N. Main Street, West Point, NE 68788
Phone: 402-372-2981 Fax: 402-372-1105
E-mail: info@westpointchamber.com
KCBS Reps: KELLY KAREN, PRICE TOM

and another
09/28 - 09/29
Omaha, NE
State Championship
River City Roundup
Contact: Annie Olson, 302 S. 36th Street, Suite 800, Omaha, NE 68131
Phone: 402-554-9600 Fax: 402-554-9609
E-mail: info@aksarben.org
KCBS Reps: PRICE TOM, GIBBS JACK

I don't know your exact locale but there are 3 in September in you state. Check the cal for othe months. Average entry fee is 150-200, plus your meat, fuel, food and booze.
I was really intimidated to start and waited far too long before I got over it. Once you go you are hooked and you will have a new very expensive hobby.
Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

there is GOBS (greater omaha bbq sociaty)they have a web page I think it is www.gobs.org there are a couple of non sanctioned around here.
Cedar Creek
springfield
papillion
these are a few that I know of.

Back