Thanks for the info....Should have her finished tommorrow,excepting the webber lid...
I'll post some pics of the build...
Is there any mods needin to be done to the exhaust vents in the webber lid?

Firecrackerjack

First post here, I've been reading this site non-stop for the past 2 days! I haven't gotten a thing done at work! My brother & I are going to take the plunge into making a couple of UDS for us.

Picking up 6 closed top unlined drums from the Craigslist guy out in Ontario tomorrow for $15/ea. He had open top ones, but he said those were lined.

Going to start simple & follow the instructions from this thread & we'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread & on this site! We'll keep you updated on our progress. Wish us Luck!

First post here, I've been reading this site non-stop for the past 2 days! I haven't gotten a thing done at work! My brother & I are going to take the plunge into making a couple of UDS for us.

Picking up 6 closed top unlined drums from the Craigslist guy out in Ontario tomorrow for $15/ea. He had open top ones, but he said those were lined.

Going to start simple & follow the instructions from this thread & we'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread & on this site! We'll keep you updated on our progress. Wish us Luck!

I know a guy in norco with a drum deheader!:biggrin:

Sheesh......another drum thread spinning out of control.

This was the PERFECT basic drum build thread and wish it could have been made a sticky before it got clogged up with spillover from the UDS thread.

Pat, did you write that book yet?

Stainless Steel Yacht Cleat!! Would make a killer handle for a UDS..

95350.gif
As long as you wore gloves.

Message #1
IMG_3029.jpg

Message #56
IMG_3072.jpg

Anyone got a clue how get the charcoal, grates, much less the food through the bung hole(s)?

Funnel and a mallet.

Actually, if you see those marks on the drum, that is where the tool used to remove the drum head top. See the middle picture where he shows how the grate support bolts are installed and you can see he removed the top. The bung hole tip would be handy though, if you are building a flat top UDS, and you would still be cutting off the top.

Funnel and a mallet.

Actually, if you see those marks on the drum, that is where the tool used to remove the drum head top. See the middle picture where he shows how the grate support bolts are installed and you can see he removed the top. The bung hole tip would be handy though, if you are building a flat top UDS, and you would still be cutting off the top.

Correct, I make the marks, then the holes and then used a deheader to cut the top off. I am working on a video but having issues.

Actually, if you see those marks on the drum, that is where the tool used to remove the drum head top.
What tool. Chisel, jig saw, sawzall? None of those would make a mark like that that I know of.
See the middle picture where he shows how the grate support bolts are installed and you can see he removed the top.
I swear I have looked at this 40 times and don't see when or how he cut the top off or should I say cut the top out.

So, do I assume if using a donor dome type lid, I need to start with a closed end drum?
And if using the drum lid, I need to start with an open end drum?

Sorry for my thick headedness.

What tool. Chisel, jig saw, sawzall? None of those would make a mark like that that I know of.

I swear I have looked at this 40 times and don't see when or how he cut the top off or should I say cut the top out.

So, do I assume if using a donor dome type lid, I need to start with a closed end drum?
Sorry for my thick headedness.
Hey hippie PM me an e-mail address and i will send you a video clip. It just happens to be the one i can't upload but it plays fine if interested.

I'll ask again:

If you are starting with a open end drum, you can go either way.

If you want to use the lid that comes with the drum, it is easier to get an open top with the lid. if you get a closed top drum and want to use the lid, you will need to cut off the top below the bead, reinforce the cut drum edge, refit the lid, swell the drum edge below the bead etc...it won't be worth it.

if you get a closed top drum and want to use the lid, you will need to cut off the top below the bead, reinforce the cut drum edge, refit the lid, swell the drum edge below the bead etc...it won't be worth it.

Wait a minute. Norcoredneck just posted a video showing that he cut the top out of a closed head drum with a drum deheader on the top of the drum, not below the bead on the side of the drum! Let's not try and re-invent the wheel here.

I guess I'm just not getting this through my thick skull.
Let me try this again:
If I get an open end drum, I can use the drum lid that comes with the drum (with the bung holes) OR use a Weber, Kingsford (Masterbuilt) or Uniflame dome lid? Correct?

Wait a minute. Norcoredneck just posted a video showing that he cut the top out of a closed head drum with a drum deheader on the top of the drum, not below the bead on the side of the drum! Let's not try and re-invent the wheel here.

I guess I'm just not getting this through my thick skull.
Let me try this again:
If I get an open end drum, I can use the drum lid that comes with the drum (with the bung holes) OR use a Weber, Kingsford (Masterbuilt) or Uniflame dome lid? Correct?
If it's 22.5", it can be Fisher-Price.

If it's 22.5", it can be Fisher-Price.
"If it's"? What's that suppose to mean? I never bought a drum before so I have no clue what size the end of a closed or open end drum is. Why do you think I'm asking these questions for? My health?

Just forget it. To many smart ass's in here. I'll take my questions elsewhere!

Measure a farkin' drum, or better yet, read a farkin' thread, and you would realize that most 55 gal. drums are accomodating 22.5" equipment. SHEESH!!

Please keep this UDS thread on course in a civil manner.

Please help our our new members and move this extreemly important thread moving forward for the betterment of the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back