• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips for cooking some Tri-Tips this weekend?

PaddyKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Doing some Tri-tips this weekend, and I have some question?

When Do you put on your rub? (the night before, right before, 1 hour before)

Do your sear first then indirect after or opposite?

What's your target temp?

How long should I plan on it taking? (approximately, of course)

Thanks,

Paddy

I smoke mine at 225 with a coating of EVOO and a mix of rosemary, coarse salt and coarse pepper. Til 135 IT About two and a half to three hours. I always reverse sear for maillard, not char.

I totally agree on the 135 IT. Personally, I think the lower temp you can cook, the longer it takes to get there, the better it turns out. If I'm really prepared, I'll dry rub the night before and keep it in the fridge. I think it turns out better that way. I don't usually sear mine, but if I've got my gasser going too, I will. EVOO works well, especially if you're gonna sear. A little worchestershire bath if you're just going straight indirect works nicely too. You can do a lot with tri-tip, but most importantly, don't overcook.

I'll Eves drop here, for ideas, I plan on doing a tri-tip soon too

Just don't overcook it and make sure to slice across the grain. And the grain on a tri-tip can vary from one end to the other on the same piece of meat. Make sure to note the grain before cooking.

Other than that, the possibilities are endless for rubs/marinades, etc. Something as simple as salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Just don't overcook it and make sure to slice across the grain. And the grain on a tri-tip can vary from one end to the other on the same piece of meat. Make sure to note the grain before cooking.

Other than that, the possibilities are endless for rubs/marinades, etc. Something as simple as salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Good point! You almost have to slice tri-tip in an arcing motion :becky:

I smoke mine at 225 with a coating of EVOO and a mix of rosemary, coarse salt and coarse pepper. Til 135 IT About two and a half to three hours. I always reverse sear for maillard, not char.

evoo = extra virgin olive oil, I'm so quick! All over it! Nice

Kosher Salt
Paprika
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Fresh Garlic

Depending on how you like the cook I do it 2 ways:
First way constantly flip and sear the sides for 20 minutes with a 3" round cut for a rare center and well cooked 1" around the center.
or
I sear for 5 minutes first, to seal in the moisture, only the meat side leaving the fat cap alone. Trim off any grissle but leave as much fat as I can. Then move to indirect cooking at 250f till the center is about 160, I like well done.
at the end of either cooking method, wrap with foil and rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

I'm not a big fan of smoking Tri Tip. I grill on the kettle. Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Pepper about an hour before. I grill about 40 minutes turning it every 5 minutes. Let rest for 15 - 20 min nice med. rare. Like the man above said " Don't over Cook ". Just my 2cents.

I've cooked tri tip every way from Sunday and prefer to cook them direct until I get a nice crust on each side then move them indirect until they hit 130*. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes and cut across the grain. The reverse sear also works great but if your not paying attention, you could over cook it before you get your crust. Since the crust is the best part, I make sure I get it first.

I also coat with EVOO then season with The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style rub and some times add another layer of The Rub Co. Original Rub. More than anything, DON'T over cook it and DON'T cut with the grain. If you avoid those two items, it will turn out great no matter how you cook it.

Here is what they usually look like.
photo0-3.jpg

3 hours!? Jesus that seems like way too much, tri tip is not brisket and doesn't really smoke all that well. I cook mine over oak for 45minutes to an hour in direct at 300ish then reverse sear and it always turns out great. Throw the rub on an hour or so before and you'll be good.

Back