Char Siu Chicken....Failure

napp37

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just posting this in the interest of full disclosure. Maybe someone can learn something from it.

I did some Char Siu pork a couple of days ago. It turned out so well that I decided to see how well the taste would transfer to chicken wings.

At the time of the first picture, everything seemed to be progressing just fine.

Somewhere along the way, I let it get away from me; and the second picture is the pitiful result.

I think it would have been pretty good if I had pulled it earlier. I will definitely try it again. On the next attempt, I will either pull it earlier; or I will cook it on the Traeger which has a "softer" heat than the WGA.

Attachments

• P1010937.jpg
    P1010937.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 210
  • P1010941.jpg
    P1010941.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 211
I think we've all done this, and there is a common reason....

simpsonsthesimpsonduffbeer4100.jpg

One thing that is definitely against you in using Char Siu sauce on chicken is all the sugar contained in the marinade and sauce. To get a crisp skin I'm afraid the wings will always turn out like this or at least very dark. High temp and sugar are not a good mix unless your making candy.

Looks like ya got the char part right. :mrgreen:
Maybe try tossing the chicken in a light sauce after its cooked?

agree with phubar, looks like a lot of fuel being used. knock that down by half.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I will definitely take some of the suggestions; and keep trying until I get it right. The taste of the sauce is just too good to give up on it this easily.

Back