Oh my!.......That Turkey looks.........

Theboz1419

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A friend on my FB posted a pic of his turkey yesterday. My first thought was to say something like' "Oh my!, I'm sorry, it did not turn out very good, I see" Or "Wow! what happened?"

But, I thought better of it and kept my mouth shut, until I asked him about it today and he said it was great and the rub he used makes the skin that color. I told him that it look like his green egg got a tad hot. And I also think that temp probe is in a odd spot.

But heres the pic.

turdone.jpg

For comparisons, here was my UDS Turkey yesterday

thanksg.jpg

Sorry for pic size. it was a very large 15 pound turkey lol

Hmm, did the rub make his onions that color? And it looks like the foolproof turkey timer didn't pop (not that means anything).

Looks to me like to low a temp and too much smoke.

But would the onions burn like that from low heat, I too thought it look like a lot of smoke and if you look at the turkey closely it looks like it may not even be done all the way. Anyways hard to tell, as long as they liked it, that's all that matters, I guess.

The onions are red onions that looked like they steamed which deepens the purple color of them.

The turkey, the color could be contributed to many things. If you didn't eat it, who cares what his looked like.

Mine looked about like that, but it tasted fantastic :clap2:

Mine was dark also. I used a cherry log. The cherry IMO adds a nice dark color. Now that one that you posted the skin looks rubbery. :doh:
I dont eat the skin normally but ate several pieces off the one i cooked.
Here is the breast, off the bone, whole.

1480774_607277482666286_328397612_n.jpg

Mine was dark also. I used a cherry log. The cherry IMO adds a nice dark color. Now that one that you posted the skin looks rubbery. :doh:
I dont eat the skin normally but ate several pieces off the one i cooked.
Here is the breast, off the bone, whole.

yours looks good. I smoked mine at 300 and then upped the temp to 350 to 375 towards the end. The skin was not bad, tad rubbery though.

Now, when I posted my friends turkey, I thought it just did not look finished but the skin and the Onions looked overdone in spots, underdone in spots, and over smoked.

I agree, that if he liked it, and his family liked it then that's awesome, the picture just does not do it justice. would I eat it.......you bet......as long as it reached 165

Hey, we had a steamed turkey yesterday, on average, your friends turkey and my BIL's turkey achieve some sort of perfection.

If he enjoyed it, that is what counts.

yours looks good. I smoked mine at 300 and then upped the temp to 350 to 375 towards the end. The skin was not bad, tad rubbery though.

Now, when I posted my friends turkey, I thought it just did not look finished but the skin and the Onions looked overdone in spots, underdone in spots, and over smoked.

I agree, that if he liked it, and his family liked it then that's awesome, the picture just does not do it justice. would I eat it.......you bet......as long as it reached 165

I dont pay attention to temps to much around here. :shock:
Meaning, unless i am cooking something that i require a very specific temp or finish temp i rarely bother with monitoring it. I cooked a half bird yesterday on the kettle, the only thing i knew the temperature on was the breast of the bird. It finished at 165° outside and peaked at 170° sitting on the counter.
I go by feel most of the time and what the clock is telling me(i know this goes against all conventional wisdom on these forums). You can manipulate finish times and results with some experience IMO.

Back