View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
I think both (Habanero & Jalapeno) should grow just fine here, they surely get enough sun, water and moderate temperatures. It's my wife's herb garden and she (being in the florist business) very well knows about such plants, it's just that they are not common here, and she couldn't find seeds anywhere locally.
Many of us can get you seeds. And, you should have a window of opportunity to grow them. Believe it or not, for part of the year here in North Texas, it is actually too hot for peppers to set fruit.

You should really build a raised bed for them, filled with soil that drains well. They need water, like any plant, but don't like wet feet (roots). My herb garden is at ground level, and is just local soil, while my pepper garden is raised four inches above ground level, and filled with soil that drains well, covered with mulch. You want very slightly damp soil, not wet, for chile peppers.

If it rains a lot in the summer there, you need to raise your pepper garden six inches or more. My four-inch lift is in North Texas, where we sometimes go months without rain in the summer. If you stick a finger in your pepper soil, and your finger gets wet, that's too much moisture for peppers. For lack of a better description, it should feel just barely "not dry."

Edit: As already mentioned, go easy on the fertilizer, too. Too much can get you some huge plants with no fruit.

My first peppers each year are usually mild. My late season jalepeño peppers this year were scorching hot -- even by my Mexican friend Carlos' standards. I finally made that farker sweat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->