turkey at 325 how long till done

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a turkey cheep the day after Thanksgiving. This will be my first so I don't really know how long it will take. Its 12# and I plan on cooking at 325 to get a crispy skin. also wondering if I just used one fist sized piece of oak and lump to cook with will the flavor will be good. Any help here would be welcome. Thanks

Around 4 hours at 325*, that's what it took for a 15#der I cooked last Thursday. When the breast reaches 160* then pull it and foil hat it, 30 min later slice and serve good luck brotha :beer:

EDIT ♥Rant♡ When my legs were at 165* the breast were at 120*ish, I have a pen so I trust it when it says you'll be hugin the crapper if you pull now. Also food will carry over and temp will rise 5 to 10* when pulled off the smoker. I also perfer dark meat at 200* internal temp like thighs its a taste n texture thing I like plus it doesn't taste like breast meat when done at that temp. I won't eat/ pull dark meat at 165*-170, not cause I'm scared of irritable bowel syndrome but cause I'm keeping Austin weird.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Last edited:
I'd go by inner thigh temp of 165* to 170* before I'd trust breast temp. At 325*, you're looking at 3 1/2 to 4 hours...at least. Maybe a little longer. I start my turkeys in the 450* range for the first hour, 400* for the second, 350* for the 3rd, and then 325* until done. I would take it out of the package the night before and put it on a cooling rack on a sheet pan, and back in the fridge over night. That will help dry out the skin and make it crispy.

A couple of things will help. First, start the bird breast side down for the first 2 hours, then flip it breast up and take the legs out of the plastic holder, or butchers twine...which ever you use to hold the legs in.

I dry brined mine last week and think I like it better that way also. Just make sure you rinse the bird before you put it in the fridge to dry out the skin. Then, right before putting it on, salt it again. It should look some thing like this when done:

Attachments

• November 2012 005.JPG
    November 2012 005.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Now I'm confused. I dang near need a road map to decipher that post up there A.Knight.

I'd guess 3.5 hrs How much wood is a personal thing. I cook on wood only, mostly Post oak and some Mesquite.

I'd go by inner thigh temp of 165* to 170* before I'd trust breast temp. At 325*, you're looking at 3 1/2 to 4 hours...at least. Maybe a little longer. I start my turkeys in the 450* range for the first hour, 400* for the second, 350* for the 3rd, and then 325* until done. I would take it out of the package the night before and put it on a cooling rack on a sheet pan, and back in the fridge over night. That will help dry out the skin and make it crispy.

A couple of things will help. First, start the bird breast side down for the first 2 hours, then flip it breast up and take the legs out of the plastic holder, or butchers twine...which ever you use to hold the legs in.

I dry brined mine last week and think I like it better that way also. Just make sure you rinse the bird before you put it in the fridge to dry out the skin. Then, right before putting it on, salt it again. It should look some thing like this when done:

That my friend is one pretty bird!!

I did a 12 pounder on Thanksgiving at 325 and it was done in 2.5 hours, so just keep an eye on it.

I just smoked my first turkey on thanksgiving (how I found this site) and it turned out great thanks to all of you. I butterflied the 14 pound bird and smoked it at 325, it ended up taking a little less than 2 hours for temp. ended up amazing cant wait to do another. just want to say thanks again brand new to the site and to smoking

Did my first turkey this Thanksgiving based on advice from the Brethren. Twelve pounder took 3 hours at 275 - 300 and the breast was at 175, thigh at 165. Family loved it, although I think I'm gonna spatchcock the next one to try for more even temp. I would have liked the dark meat a bit drier. (No brining, just injected.)

Thanks everyone, To day is the day! It took 5 days to thaw so I'll drag this tread out. I think I'll light the UDS at 1 ish this afternoon for dinner at 5:30 I'll try to get some pic before its devoured.

Like other's have said, it's done when it's done. I cook my birds at 325*-350* and take to an internal breast temp of 160* then remove and rest about a half hour. Food safe says a minimum of 165* internal, but I pull it at 160* and figure it will rise another 5*-10* while resting. This will ensure you get a nice moist breast. Nothing worse than dried out turkey! Just be sure your thermo probe is in the meat and not touching the breastbone. Good luck and don't forget photos!

Throw away the clock and buy a thermometer. I cook mine till the breast is 165-170 degrees then pull the thing and let it sit for a bit to finish it off and let the juices jell. Then slice it up and enjoy.

That looks beautiful!!

My 11+ lb bird, wet brined, cooked in 2hrs at about 300+. It was a big hit. Bet yours will be too.

Just did a 12 pounder (work got in the way last week). Was done in 2.5 hours at 325 with crisp skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back