Brisket Smoke

T

timplu

Hey everyone! New member here and this is my first post to the forum so I decided to share my brisket cook from Sunday. I picked up a 4.5lb piece of meat from the local butcher and put her on early Sunday morning. I used a rub of paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and brown sugar. Trying it by itself I was worried about how much heat there would be, but once it was on and got some smoke, it was a mild heat that crept up. It took just under 6 hours in the smoker - I have an electric smoker and kept the temp around 250, give or take a few degrees either way. I used a combo of hickory and cherry wood which I really liked. I pulled it off when it hit 190 and wrapped it in foil and let it rest for an hour, then sliced her up.

Overall, I was very happy with it. I thought the flavor was good and it wasn't overpowered with smoke. I was able to bite through and pull a slice apart with no real problem too. I probably should have flipped it once because the bottom did get a little more done than the top portion of the meat, but it wasn't a big deal. It was enough meat for just myself and the wife, so our leftovers went to sliced brisket sandwiches with some sauce on just plain bread - simple, but really good.

Anyways, here are some pics of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good!

I cleaned up the IMG tags in your post.

you are hooked now!! put your fat cap towards the heat to protect the meat

you are hooked now!! put your fat cap towards the heat to protect the meat

that's a good idea! i'll have to do that next time. i left the fat side up thinking it would render down and keep the meat moist, but i like your idea of fat side down to protect the bottom from drying up a bit. thanks for the tip!

Looks delicious! Welcome to the forum!

First off, Welcome northern Brother.:-D
Looks really good!
Being able to make good Q really helps shorten the winters in these parts.:thumb:

Looks great!! Next time try rubbing it with straight up salt and pepper and spraying it a few times with a mix of worcestershire and water towards the end. You'll be amazed.

Back