Thread: The Smokenator?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

I got mine used with a OTG. I think it takes up less space than the coal and firebricks or snake method. Read somewhere that it is good to set bark with no water at the start of a cook. So with the past couple butts I go with no water pan and load the cavity in the smokenator right full. After an hour and a half to two hours my bark is set and then I add the water pan. Another possible advantage to the smokenator is that the water pan can sit right down in the cavity where the coals are. That pan steams dry fast...they say it lasts and hour or so......at 250f it is gone in 35 minutes. This may be what you want in your smoking environment. I also read somewhere that in order to get control of rising temperatures add ice cubes....so I have added ice cubes to the water dish. If I do this when the dish is right down in the coals the temp will drop 30f fast. Sometimes I have the water dish on the cooking grate. I will also place wood on the cooking grate above a heap of coals to get a cleaner smoke. I have tinkered without the smokenator as well to good results. Would I sell mine though??? No.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote