Musings about recent switch to New Braunfels Bandera

Dan2276

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently procured a New Braunfels Bandera from a friend for $75.00. For the past 3 years of my smoking experience, I used a COS made by Char-Broil that I bought at Home Depot.

What a change!

The COS needed constant attention to keep at the right temperature. I found with the Bandera I just had to adjust the vents a little, every so often, and was able to keep it between 225-235 very easily.

Also, while it was hard to get it to initial temperature, and I had to use a lot of charcoal to do so, by the time it was to temperature, I had to use very little fuel. I got a 11 hour smoke (shoulder and baby backs) out of 2 oak logs (Which i turned to charcoal in my fire pit) and half a bag of Kingsford Blue.

I am sold, and will be experimenting a lot more now. I look forward to becoming a more active member of your community!

Dan

Fantastic - a Bandera! That design was the early foundation of this forum ... way back when.

Welcome... and congrats on the recent find!

Love my Bandera.
My son and I with a couple of his friends just finished the Stagecoach Music Festival. KCBS, ICBA, and a chili comp, out of 8 categories we walked in 5. Chicken on a Weber, and the ribs, pork, brisket, and PC all off the Bandera. One 8 hour, and two 14 hour cooks over the three days without a hitch. Solid temp control and some of the prettiest boxes I've ever turned in.

Back