View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
misterrachel
On the road to being a farker

Default Temp probe placement - Lesson learned

I fire up the UDS last night for a 2nd trial of my new iQue 120. The first time around, I clipped the pit probe directly to my grate. Worked like a champ.

I did the same thing yesterday and learned the error of my ways. The pit came to temp as it should, but as soon as I set my salmon down the probe temp dropped sharply. I waited a couple minutes and realized it was now getting a false reading off of the meat instead of the pit. The fan was blowing the whole time, so I realized I needed to correct it and fast. I quickly took a bamboo skewer and clipped the probe to it and stuck the skewer into the salmon. My probe reading was much lower than what I knew the temp at the grate to be. I gave it a few more minutes, but from my pit thermometer, I could see that the temps had gone over 300 degrees.

Salmon came out fine, but I was frustrated. I think from now on, I will clip the temp probe to my analog pit probe and just account for the 50 degree difference between that and the center of the grate.

Any thoughts/advice? Thank you!