October 1 & 2 Fine Swine at the Pit in Mulberry, Florida

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, in spite of the best efforts of hurricanes Charley, Frances, Jeanne and a second pass by Ivan the competition at Mulberry, Florida, is ON.

I finally received the information packet today and have been sorting boxes and checking packing lists between bouts of tree limb removal, ripping out soaked carpet, running the wet-vac, and other assorted post-hurricane fun.

Tim Conchran and I will be at the cooks meeting Friday evening at 5:30 and ready to light our fires just a couple of hours later. Oh, we'll be using a highly tuned and modified Bandera cooker so it will be double the pleasure if we can place.

Now, we can just need to win some money so we can continue this madness!! :D

You shouldn't have any problems getting wood. :twisted:

Good Luck guys!

Good luck guys...Most important though
is to enjoy doing what you do.
"Smoke em"
MikeG

You guys have had your hands full for weeks, with the weather. Wishing you fair winds and good luck for the weekend, you've earned it.

Disclaimer: If you don't know about scoring don't bother to read the following - this was FBA NOT KCBS so we don't really need suggestions at this time - this is posted for general information and NOT as a gripe (well maybe a little!) - we were the newest team and just about the only team that wasn't a caterer, full or part-time equipment manufacturer, vendor, or restaurant operator.

Well, it was a weekend! :D Good weather, I scored a generator for the RV on Thursday so we had air conditioning in the trailer, great people at the cook off but from what staff we saying attendance was way down - probably as a result of the hurricanes and people being busy. Some had just gotten electricity restored to their homes on Friday. The staff was great -- the event was fully supported by the city, the American Legion, the Sheriff's office and Police departments, the Fire department, Kiwanis (they hosted the kid's cook off!) and so on. Great facility - nice lawn with water and electric for each site - and your own fire ant hill, too!! :D

And then there was the cook off. Tim and I had cooked some great food and didn't place in any categories!

We are not sure what the problem was since we got 8's to 10's on taste and tenderness but were getting slammed on appearance - and since there is no critique available we have NO idea what was wrong - especially since in one category we got a 10 in appearance from one judge and a 7.5 from another! The pulled pork really has me snookered - maybe I didn't "shred" the pork enough or something. Go figure.

Anyway, we didn't totally stink up the place - we were 10 out of 17 overall and got as high as 7th in the individual meats.

Scoring is similar to KCBS - scores go from 5 to 10 in .5 increments. And we were scored on appearance, tenderness, and taste.

Our overall score was 699.7358 and this put us 41.69 behind the Grand Chamions (741.4279) - now, interestingly enough, the Reserve Champions were at 715.2118 or a little over 26 points behind first and at that point the scores tighened up -- at 10th place we were only about 15.5 points behind the Reserve.

Anyway our scores were as follows:

(The columns are the different judges)

Chicken 9th
Appearance 9.0 8.5 8.0 8.5 9.0 10.0
Tenderness 8.0 8.5 8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0
Taste 8.5 8.5 8.5 8.5 9.0 9.5

Ribs 8th
Appearance 8.0 7.5 7.5 8.5 9.0 9.0
Tenderness 8.5 10 8.0 9.0 9.0 8.5
Taste 8.5 9.5 8.0 8.5 9.0 9.0

Pork 10th
Appearance 8.5 8.5 7.5 9.0 7.0 8.5
Tenderness 10 9.5 8.5 9.5 8.5 9.0
Taste 9.5 9.5 8.5 9.0 8.0 8.5

Brisket 7th
Appearance 10 7.5 8.5 9.0 9.5 9.5
Tenderness 9.0 8.0 8.0 8.5 8.5 8.5
Taste 9.0 8.5 8.0 9.0 8.5 9.5

Tim and I are looking at getting the judges training at the end of the month and see if we can get a handle on what we were doing or not doing.

Also, we are looking at doing the KCBS cook off in Plant City in November.

Ditto to everything David said.
Very professionally run event, in my opinion.
Gotta figure out some things, and we will.

For those of you who have not cooked with DF--buy a plane ticket and get it done! Sucker is good!
Now, if I can teach him fire control in a squirley cooker like the StudeDera, we got it made :lol:

When I get a little (or lot) depressed about our scores, I stand back and remember that the "new guys on the block" beat 10 teams that do this for a living! That fact does not pay the bills, but it sure keeps the spirits up.

Tired--drove home to Marianna today.

Thanks for all the support and knowlege guys. Without y'all, I would not be having this much fun.

TIM

Did ya have fun? For a first competition you did well, you didn't finish last, but that wouldn't have mattered either if you was learning and having fun. We got very, very lucky and had championship teams giving us pointers on stuff we didn't know, like presentation.

You are trying to please 6 different individuals, who all have different taste preferences and ideas as to what they are looking for in presentation and tenderness. It's a crap shoot. It really is.

Question: The team that won the competition, were they local to the area where the contest was held? You said "we were the newest team and just about the only team that wasn't a caterer, full or part-time equipment manufacturer, vendor, or restaurant operator." Might have been a factor if some of the judges were use to someone's cooking.

Don't give up! It is all a crap shoot! I'll eat your cooking any old time!
I think you did great and am proud to know ya!

kapndsl said:
For those of you who have not cooked with DF--buy a plane ticket and get it done! Sucker is good!

I'll second that!

Tim and David, well done Brothers. It looks like most of your lowest scores were in appearance. The good news is thats probably the easiest thing to fix. I know its frustrating to be pleased with your product and not have the judges be as pleased as you were, don't sweat it. Next time you could end up thinking you cooked worse and place higher, go figure.
The winning truely is in the experience, without competing or cooking at all I had the best time Friday just being around others that share our passion for Q, asking questions, telling stories etc. The info you guys shared here and in the other thread will help lots of us in the future. Thanks.

Back