View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone Really Sharing Secrets? Part 2

A while back I started a thread, to which I can no longer reply. The link is http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154329 for anyone who needs to reference it.

So I wanted to updated everyone on some of my "processes."

The last month has been an interesting one. I've competed in two different competitions (IBCA) and my brisket method has been put to the test.

I opened this thread with my +/- 190 degree brisket, being held in that range for 3-4 hours. This process has worked for me numerous times, and at several competitions. But two of the 5 briskets I've cooked really surprised me.

All were in my preferred weight range, and all but one came from my local butcher (whom I've used for years).

I'll start by saying, I believe more now than ever before, that meat quality really matters. All of my briskets were full packers, and all were choice (my typical selection). They all were nice and pliable in the packaging, had nice white fat. But the results were peculiar.

A little over a month ago, I competed at the Irving Elks Lodge contest. I cooked 3 briskets that day. An 18lb, a 14 lb (both from my butcher) and a 12 lb flat (from sams). I started the 18 lb 1st, and started the two smaller briskets a few hours later. I had plenty of time before my 3PM turn in (15 hours). At 6am, they were all wrapped up. About 9AM they'd all hit 190-195, perfect. Into the warmer box they went. Held them in the 185 range for 4 hours, then let the temp in my warmer fall to 140 to hold until turn in. My normal process. At turn in time, I began slicing. I was very disappointed in the two briskets. They hadn't rendered down. They weren't jiggly...they were still tough, like they weren't done. The smallest brisket, was. I couldn't use it, because it'd been bought and paid for by my neighbor, who's ask that I cook them one. No problem, plenty of room on the pit. I wanted to cut their brisket so bad, but I hadn't paid for it. Picked my best slices, and turned them in. They were fine, but not what I expect. Didn't make final table. My neighbors then told me the brisket I gave them was the best they'd ever had. HA, should've cut it and turned it in.

A few weeks later at the Ft. Worth Cops for Kids cook out, I did the same thing, only this time I didn't get choice, I got CAB. One 15lb one 18lb. Same process. The 18lb was already nice and pliable, jiggly, when I put it in the warmer box at 195. The 15lb was not. No problem I thought, still had plenty of time to let things render down, so I took it to 205, then put it in the warmer...it's CHEMISTRY! Right? Wrong. The 18lb was PERFECT at turn in. One of, if not my best briskets ever. I couldn't have been happier. Didn't make final table, but hey, 111 teams. I was happy with my turn in. The 15 lb was still tough. Cooked just as long, hit a slightly higher temp, but it never got the texture I was looking for. It was like it wasn't done.

This month, i'm going to get a prime brisket from my butcher (he's holding a couple for me, he rarely gets them). I'll test my theories on it and report back.

But I write this long story to show you how much a couple cooks can really change your thought process. What had always worked, wasn't for some reason. I believe that everyone of those briskets could have turned out beautifully. But I needed to keep cooking them. Maybe 195 wasn't good enough. I pushed one a bit farther, but still not right. Upon slicing it was obvious that the fats hadn't rendered out. Why is this? My suspicion is that the droughts in the midwest have really impacted the cattle, and meat quality. But that's my guess. And if there is any truth to it, it adds to my thoughts that quality really matters. Sometimes quality can't be seen in at the butcher either.

Although, I don't use tooth picks to probe, I do use a thermometer. And I can, as most of you can, feel when the meat is done. But I was relying on that thermometer. I need the science to work in my head for some reason. But, with a couple of real world experiments slapping me in the face, it kind of is what it is, right?

So, my next briskets with still have a thermometer in them. But I'm not going to get scared if they get to 200. I'm going to go back to the old ways of feeling the beef to know if it's ready. If they're nice at 190, great, I'll put em in the warmer to rest. But if they still are tight, I'm going to just keep letting the temp come on up.

Pitmaster T made a very solid point in his response to my OP. It's time. I don't cheat the pit, by ratcheting up the temp and powering through stalls, I let them come on up naturally, so to speak. But, in the end, I completely believe that more time cooking would have caused these briskets to let go and loosen up, not necessarily holding at 180. So maybe easing them up to 210, or 215 would have done it. But, next time, they're not going into the warmer until they feel right.

One more point on quality, (Thanks for the IM HeSmellsLikeSmoke). I've cooked one wagyu brisket. Did it a year ago. That brisket I took to 185, and it was loose. Delicious too. Almost wouldn't hold a slice, but it did, and got turned in. I won 4th place at that tourney in brisket. I've not bought one since. My "process" worked like a champ on it. I suspect my process will do the same on a prime. But my next couple trials, in prep for my next comp on May 3-4, will be watching the temp, but not being tricked by it.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->