• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is a UDS as a cooker okay?

DaveMW

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I volunteer at a non-profit labrador retriever rescue and thought that a BBQ fundraiser would be a great way to get some money for the rescue and gain exposure for the rescue as well.

I hear others talk about using a UDS for comps etc. but when it comes to selling to the public is there any issue with using a UDS? I guess what I would really be wondering is how to answer the question of "What was in the drum originally?" I made my UDS and have used it myself since spring feeding family and friends so I am not concerned with it being toxic (burned her out real good, used all stainless parts etc.) but not sure how to respond.

I also have to look up rules and regs on cooking for a non-profit fundraiser too. If anyone has experience with this I'd love to know your lessons learned on any of the above.

Thanks in advance
Dave

I's like to hear the Brethren take on this also, especially if any of the Michigan crew has any advice.

It will depend on the local health departments to say yes or no. Each one will vary, so there's no blank answer. I have customers that sell from my units and some can't because of no NSF or US approved stickers or certification. HD's like them.Then there is the flue or exhaust used issue. Whether it will work in a hood vent system etc. When used outside, I've been asked to build or use an enclosure with metal roof and screened walls, complete with floor before getting OK. Bottom line is keeping safety in mind and ask all you can from the HD.Hopefully you have your Safe Serve courses done (along with staff and helpers) to show who your asking that you're serious about doing things correctly. Good Luck. Steve.

I would say a majority of the homemade cookers once held something you would never eat.

We cook on an old 250 gallon diesel tank without any issues.

Back