If you had to choose one... Franklin BBQ or Salt Lick?

I lived in Austin for a while.

Franklin's is leaps and bounds better BBQ. But, of course there's a long wait. And, aside from the BBQ there isn't much else (it's a restaurant so that's expected).

Salt Lick isn't nearly as good BBQ. But, it's an experience. Assuming they didn't change the rules, Driftwood (where the Original Salt Lick is) is a dry county and Salt Lick can't sell beer. As a result, they let you bring your own beer/wine. You can also order Family Style, eat until you feel sick, then get a to-go plate (letting people BYOB is genius as it helps make them full)

If I was looking for great Central Texas BBQ, I'd go to Franklin's. If I was looking for a cool experience (and didn't care as much for the quality), I'd go to Salt Lick. As somebody else mentioned, Salt Lick is a great tourist destination. It's also quite a ways outside of Downtown Austin.

Hope that helps...

Wife and I frequent the Salt Lick in Round Rock... they sell beer at that location.

I agree;
Franklin's for high quality food and Salt Lick for the ambiance with the open circular pit in the middle.

Keep in mind at Salt Lick, your food has been cooked in the back and they just finish it / bring to temperature over the fire for the awe factor.

Once you tell your wife and family how early you have to leave San Antonio to get in line at Franklin and get a chance at that brisket before the "Sold Out" sign goes up, that decision will be made for you. If you don't get there early in the morning, it won't be lunch; it will be mid-afternoon "here's what we have left to eat" time.

But you don't have to drive all the way up to Austin for barbecue greatness. San Antonio barbecue is starting to experience the same renaissance that Austin did a few years ago. 2M has amazing brisket, awesome tacos and interesting sausages. The Granary is great, get some pork belly if you go there. There are other places as well.

So it sounds like we're going to do Franklin's. I talked to my parents about it, and they are driving to San Antonio for this wedding and said they'd throw a bunch of tailgate chairs in their minivan, and they'd also be bringing a cooler (so we'll have cold beer). My wife is going to bring Cards Against Humanity. We'll make a fun time out of it!

So it sounds like we're going to do Franklin's. I talked to my parents about it, and they are driving to San Antonio for this wedding and said they'd throw a bunch of tailgate chairs in their minivan, and they'd also be bringing a cooler (so we'll have cold beer). My wife is going to bring Cards Against Humanity. We'll make a fun time out of it!

Get there early. By early I don't mean 11. I mean by 7-8 AM.

Get there early. By early I don't mean 11. I mean by 7-8 AM.

That's the plan!!!! We're going on a Thursday, and I emailed them asking for recommendations on what time would be best to get there. I was surprised that they responded with 9am on a Thursday. I'm thinking about leaving San Antonio no later than 6:00AM to get there at 7:15AM!

That's the plan!!!! We're going on a Thursday, and I emailed them asking for recommendations on what time would be best to get there. I was surprised that they responded with 9am on a Thursday. I'm thinking about leaving San Antonio no later than 6:00AM to get there at 7:15AM!

When I went it was on a Tuesday. I got there at 4AM to be first in line. A trickle of people arrived between 4:30 and 6. About 6 is when a steady stream of people started to arrive. Arriving at 7 would be good. They open the doors at about 9 so people can look around inside, buy tshirts, beer, use the bathroom, etc.

Your milage may vary.

When I went it was on a Tuesday. I got there at 4AM to be first in line. A trickle of people arrived between 4:30 and 6. About 6 is when a steady stream of people started to arrive. Arriving at 7 would be good. They open the doors at about 9 so people can look around inside, buy tshirts, beer, use the bathroom, etc.

Your milage may vary.
Thank you!
My family is going to hate me for this, but I'll adjust our time to leave from San Antonio down to 0545 to put us in at 0700.

Thank you!
My family is going to hate me for this, but I'll adjust our time to leave from San Antonio down to 0545 to put us in at 0700.

They may hate you for it at the moment, but it will be a memory that you have the rest of your lives. When I look back on the special times, these are what stand out. Yeah, the line was long, but I will always treasure the time I spent with gtr and his sister. Yeah, I had some great BBQ, even rivaling Franklin's, but that was a special memory. Yeah, I was at LABBQ not long before, didn't have to wait, and the brisket I had there actually haunts me more than what I had at Franklin's, but sometimes it is the journey itself that makes it worthwhile. Enjoy the Franklin's experience... and thanks Greg!

They may hate you for it at the moment, but it will be a memory that you have the rest of your lives. When I look back on the special times, these are what stand out. Yeah, the line was long, but I will always treasure the time I spent with gtr and his sister. Yeah, I had some great BBQ, even rivaling Franklin's, but that was a special memory. Yeah, I was at LABBQ not long before, didn't have to wait, and the brisket I had there actually haunts me more than what I had at Franklin's, but sometimes it is the journey itself that makes it worthwhile. Enjoy the Franklin's experience... and thanks Greg!

Yeah that was farkin killer! A very cool morning for sure & hopefully we can meat again somewhere. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but we stopped at Sonic and got huge milkshakes after that. :shocked: I felt very large by the time we finished those. :doh:

& by the way - to the OP - Southside & Meyer's aren't far off and they're close together - go to either or both, buy some sausage (you can buy it packaged for cooking later) and you'll be glad you did.

Just spent two nights in Austin, second trip there. IMHO life is too short to stand in line for hours for a BBQ lunch.

My suggestion would be to go to Salt Lick for some slightly above average Q to go, take it to Deep Eddy's distillery just a few miles away. and picnic in the back enjoying the view and one of their way above average cocktails.

I would beat a path to Valentino's and get the Real Deal Holyfield!! :mrgreen:

Back