View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #134
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa Q View Post
I made a couple of mods to one of my ol weber kettles. The damper blades got bent when I tryed to make it digest some lump and wouldnt choke the fire completly so I welded a ring to the damper blades.

The stock fire grate let to much charcoal fall through so I covered it with a piece of 3/4x9 expanded.

Made a ring to hold some charcoal for low-n-slo. Along with some 6" pieces to allow more air under the charcoal and help let the ashes fall through.

A new cooking grate.

I'm to cheap to buy a performer so I emprovised. I also made a tool to scrape the grease and stuff with, an old hoe that I ground to the same radius as the kettle and a log / charcoal lighter. I stick the log lighter into the air supply on my bbq to get it started also.

Its all tuned up now and I can get well over 12 hours cook time from 1 load of charcoal at 225*. Figured I might as well have a snack while I waited for it to burn out.

A butt I cooked about 6 months ago on another kettle.
Love this! Is the 6" expando on the inside around the edges just to hold the fuel? What is the diameter of your charcoal ring?

Don't tell the drumheads but with something like this I might be able to nix the UDS...not that I'm looking for a reason to do that but if you can easily get 12 hours at 225* .
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote