Smoked Burgers - Advice please

Pooky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've got some really nice ground steak from my butcher, the only issue is, it's pretty lean - I reckon 85/15 at the most - Am I asking for trouble if I make some burgers and smoke them? They'll dry out right?

I was thinking of adding in some bacon lardons to bring some fat to the mixture - Will that work?

Any other ideas? I'm a bit late to get back down there to pick up some fattier meat. Could I add butter?

Chop up half cooked Bacon and mix in - Mmmmmmm. :mrgreen:

Or mix it with raw ground pork or raw ground sausage.....:wink:

Do a reverse sear just like a good steak with a pat of compound butter or bacon weave on top!:thumb:

Bacon in the burger can't be bad :-D

But, I use 90/10 all of the time and don't have issues with the burgers drying out. I think 85/15 would be fine. But, I don't smoke the burgers until they are done. I'm not sure that would be good. I do a reverse sear and give them some smoke for a while (usually until they hit 120 or so internal temp) and then finish on a hot grill to sear the outside and give them some grill marks and nice color.

I did some 90/10 on the Lang recently and they were some of the best burgers I ever made. Wasn't planned, the wife decided she wanted burgers halfway through a brisket since it was hot just put em on. They will be great!

Maybe add some beePh bone marrow to the ground beePh.
Never tried it though...idea just popped in my head.

You will have dried out burgers if you try to smoke them like you would ribs, brisket, etc. Cook them like you would any other burger. I had my last 1/4 cow burger 90/10 and they were perfectly juicy. If you want some smoke, throw some wood chunks on your charcoal during the cook.

You will have dried out burgers if you try to smoke them like you would ribs, brisket, etc. Cook them like you would any other burger. I had my last 1/4 cow burger 90/10 and they were perfectly juicy. If you want some smoke, throw some wood chunks on your charcoal during the cook.

going to second this notion. we went through a phase where we were having burgers a couple times a week.

a chunk of wood on the coals as you grill will give you all you need.

Great advice folks - Going to go for them as they are (to avoid heading out to the store) - Reverse seared over a bit of hickory.

Phubar - That sounds incredible - Might have to plan them that way next time: Beef, bacon, bone marrow - Triple B Burgers!

You probably smoked them too long or on a temp that's too high IMO...or your burgers are quite thin.
I smoke them on a low temp for about 20 minutes and Phinish on high heat.

Great advice folks - Going to go for them as they are (to avoid heading out to the store) - Reverse seared over a bit of hickory.

Phubar - That sounds incredible - Might have to plan them that way next time: Beef, bacon, bone marrow - Triple B Burgers!

Gonna steal this Triple B idea...nice addapting!

Last edited by a moderator:
My only decision now is whether to make quarter pounders of half pounders? Hmmmm.....

1/2 is the only way to go unless it's on a griddle, IMO.

Can't beat a 1/3 pounder "inside out bacon cheese burger" smoked 15-20 min and then seared on Grill Grates. Our family won't eat burgers anywhere else but at home. None can compare.

You're right, quarter's just too small - Gone for the half pounder option - Third pounder's a great idea for next time - Loving the sound of the inside-out bacon & cheese, and the brisket point mix -

I reckon I'm gonna be having burgers a lot in the coming weeks!

Thanks everyone

I can't tell you how good a reverse sear burger is, don't smoke it till it looks done just till your temp is right, then onto the waiting grill for the sear. Mmmm!!

Just pull them when they are medium, and they will be fine. That being said I wouldn't fire the Lang just to cook burgers........but if its already hot. Try it you'll be glad you did.

Back