View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #36
dahbull
Got rid of the matchlight.

I bought the Red Kamado on sale last week and fired it up a couple days ago to grill America cut pork chops, about 1 1/2" thick. I seared the chops for about two minutes, each side, with the top open, then grilled for another ten minutes with the top closed, flipping once at the half-way mark. I have cooked chops before on the Weber, using similar procedure, so I had something for comparison. The result with the Kamado was less than spectacular. Chops were cooked to about 155 on the instant read thermometer and rested for ten minutes. They were white when cut, but less than juicy and a bit tough to the bite. The problem with the Kamado, as I see it, is temperature control. I used about one-pound of lump charcoal. Temperature gauge read 600 degrees at the outset, which I figured was appropriate searing temperature, but too hot for convection cooking with the top closed and the dampers barely open. The Weber by contrast has a larger fire pit enabling a two sided fire, one side hot for searing and the other medium so that meat can be moved from high to lower temperature for indirect grilling. The Kamado, as I see it provides less cooking flexibility and control than the Weber. I intend to try a roasting chicken next. Will see how that works out. I have some modifications in mind.
dahbull is offline   Reply With Quote