View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Ok, guys, I am roped into cooking for a party of 200. Actually, 140, + 30 kids under 12, and they added an extra 30 to cover shortage. I need a sanity check on what i plan to cook.

I tried the meat calculators and Im confused on the results. (some display cooked, some display raw weights, and they dont jive.

So here was my plan, sans calculator.

the plan is 4 meats, sliced briskets, pulled pork, ribs(baby backs) and Chicken. Plus burgers and dogs for kids, picky eaters and late comers.

I plan on putting out a few trays of sausage and peppers and Kielbasa for folks to pick on before serving the BBQ and to tke the edge off the hungryman. Sides will be baked beans, corn on the cob, pasta salad and tossed salad. Also Big Mistas pineapple slaw may get added as a surprise.

I was thinking 10 butts(average 7-8 lbs)
6 briskets (14# or better, full packers)
50 racks of ribs
2 x 40lb cases of chicken. One case of leg and thigh quarters, one case of breast and wing quarter. (or would it be easier doing spatchocked and cutting after cooked? )

sausage and peppers will be 3-4 full trays and kielbasa will be on a slicing board.

Burgers, simple count, 250 burgers/dogs and they may have leftover.. probably not because about 50 HS kids will be hanging out late as stragglers and will finish them up.

They want service from 2-7pm.. STAGGERED, BUT CONTINUOUS.

so.. that being aid.. how bouts your expert opinions?

I would stick with your butt count and back off on the brisket by 1 an the ribs with four meats I do two ribs per so maybe 40 racks and the chicken 30lbs mixed. Are you figuring on burgers and dogs for everyone or just the kids. If I do as a filler i would do 100 bugs and 60 dogs. With all your other goodies you have plenty. I would be a round $18.00 or so a head.