• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Asian Butts, this time with Pron (In Progress)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Fathers Day Y'all...

Starting my cook early today. Pork butt has been marinating since about 5 pm yesterday. I was going to put it in a zip log bag, but this thing wouldn't fit, so had to put it in a bowl and flip it every so often.

Going to load up the WSM with KBB and Cherry wood chunks. Starting out at 250* for the first three hours, foil and jump it to 275* for 5 more hours.

Wrap, rest it, pull it, eat it...

Ideas were discussed here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2955414#post2955414

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 224
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 224
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 223
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 223
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 222
An hour and a half in at 250*. Gave it a mop with the marinade after I took this picture. Started out with three large chunks of cherry in the KBB. Not as red as I have seen from stick burners, but the marinade is soy sauce based, so that may be keeping it more brown color.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 204
Three hours in. Nice color. Temp raised to 275*, into a foil pan with onion rings, pineapple, and the rest of the marinade.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 181
Pulled it off after 9 hours. Pulls apart with a fork. Going to let it rest now while finish some yard work.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 144
All pulled and ready to take to the bar. I think I over cooked it a bit. It absorbed the two cups of drippings I took from the pan. And some pineapple juice. And a little soy sauce / rice wine. Not as much flavor from the marinade as I expected. Need to inject more and let it sit longer. All in all, the pork is alright.

The pineapple salsa really makes the sandwich pop. Little sweet, little spicy.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 114
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 114
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 114
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 114
Thanks Landarc and Jeanie!

These were shoulders, so harder to do the wiggle check. Next time I will pull them 30 mins earlier and let them finish on the counter.

Oh, and it wasn't as dry as I thought. Maybe it was just thirsty. I know I am. Time to get ready to go to the bar...

Go Spurs!

Thanks GSO! Now, if the bride and groom to be is happy, I need to do this all over again in about a month. Times three or four... :shock:

Looks like I have some work to do. They liked the butt. I told them that I thought it needed to marinate longer and / or needed some sort of finishing sauce added to it. I could taste the pork, a hint of pineapple and soy, but that was it.

looks good to me. I always pull it in the ams pan i use to wrap it, and then usually add some apple cider vinegar and apple juice, and like you, the PP sucks it all up.

the pineapple salsa looks great! probably really adds a nice refreshing burst of flavor that compliments the pork.

Thanks Grimm. For any interested, here is the recipe for that pineapple salsa:

Pineapple Salsa:
1 pineapple, diced and cored, juices reserved
3 Roma tomato, diced
1 small onion, minced
3 jalapeno, diced (Less if you don't like as much heat)
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
2 TBS lime juice
Salt and pepper

Back