Why msg?

If MSG was really that bad, nobody would make it through college.

GO GO RAMEN NOODLES!!

seriously though, I eat ramen and mixed veggies all the time to save up for meat.

I agree, to this...me I can eat anything...but to see the pain my wife is in when she gets her migraines, I avoid it...it means constant label reading...no processed foods also...some reason sodium nitrate, and sodium nitrite also causes her migraines...the last 2 years... she (not me,) has have stopped eating foods with MSG, and nitrates, and nitrites...her migraines have gone down...I would say 90% Is it a fluke? I don't know...I can't convince my wife now to try anything with those ingredients... just my. 02

We've used MSG on almost all of the meats we cook (home and competition). Never a problem for us.

I agree with all of those who suggest that you should not judge if you have an intolerance to MSG. Food allergies arent anything to mess with.

I'm still an ingnoramus. Send me to the comp forum if you like, but if I cook in a comp event can I use my own rub or does it have to be approved by thy FDA?? Sorry for a newbie silly question.

Keale, have you done a blood pressure monitoring on your wife? The common chemical compound in those three items is sodium. It could be she is borderline reactive, it would be good to know if her body reacts to high sodium levels.

Chaddie, you can use any rub you want in a comp. You do not have to use a commercial product only.

Not unless you consider "male enhancement" an adverse health effect. :thumb: Maybe if it lasts more than 4 hours. :clap2:

Now wait just a dagone minute hear.......
Are you, Plowboy, suggesting that MSG can make my willy bigger?:roll:

I'm IN!!!!!:heh::laugh::becky::thumb: My wife will LOVE this!!!

ON TOPIC-- I have to say that I now know more about MSG than I did before this thread began. I still think, however, that if I have an MSG allergy then it's MY responsibility to ask if what I'm about to snarf down has any in it. I mean, if I'm allergic to peanuts and I eat a bag of Nutter Butters (sorry to say, I've actually done that:becky:) without looking at the label, is it the cookie manufacturer's fault? NO. Nor should it be labeled as the BBQ'er's fault if he serves ribs made with rub to a guy who has an allergy to MSG and doesn't ask if it's in the rub.

Right?

The Food Detectives had an interesting episode about MSG and served random plates with or without MSG to the dining room. The results were that people who reportedly had an MSG allergy swore they had eaten it when they were served a plate without, and those that did have the MSG plates suffered no ill effects. This tells me that there is an MSG "scare" and there are those thinking they are having an allergic reaction when something else may be the cause. I am NOT saying that there aren't people with an alergy to this chemical, but that the problem has been blown out of proportion in the general population. Note, this was a TV show and not a double blind scientific experiment.

The Food Detectives had an interesting episode about MSG and served random plates with or without MSG to the dining room. The results were that people who reportedly had an MSG allergy swore they had eaten it when they were served a plate without, and those that did have the MSG plates suffered no ill effects. This tells me that there is an MSG "scare" and there are those thinking they are having an allergic reaction when something else may be the cause. I am NOT saying that there aren't people with an alergy to this chemical, but that the problem has been blown out of proportion in the general population. Note, this was a TV show and not a double blind scientific experiment.

The USDA did a similar study in 2004 and got similar results. They haven't retracted their labeling requirements, but cited that the impact of MSG on the general public was far less than previously understood. If I find the study, I'll post it.

Having said that, we've switched to no MSG in our product just to avoid the hassle from both retailers and consumers. I can honestly say that it has NO MSG and tastes EXACTLY the same. I used the first MSG free production bottle of Bovine Bold at my last contest and placed first in brisket out of 54.

I'm late to this and don't have a problem with MSG, but if I was in the group that had MSG, I wouldn't be able to tell at the time, but I would later. MSG makes me swell, especially my fingers. I have a hard time getting my wedding ring off after eating it. It doesn't stop me - I live Chinese food - but lots of times I get home and think, "there was a lot of MSG in that food tonight!"

I never thought about MSG years ago, but I'm try'in to learn how my body functions work and respond to what I injest.... Not that I"m sayyin you can't consume it, just state'in it don't work for me.

Not unless you consider "male enhancement" an adverse health effect. :thumb: Maybe if it lasts more than 4 hours. :clap2:

My lover says I never stop! I don't use MSG.. soo maybe I should. Will she stop b*tch'n? NO cause I aint gunnua change nuttin. SORRY off topic I'm sendin myself to penal box#69

Back