Eggbert meets his match

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys (and gals)... Meet Eggberta...

IMG_4126.jpg

I saw an ad on the Chicago Craig's List yesterday evening for a BGE for sale and it was less than 5 miles from my house! After sending an e-mail to Divemaster to stay away :-D I called the guy. He called me back this morning and my wife and I went to look at it. The CL ad said that it was a large and it had a wheeled cart so I was expecting a Nest. I've never seen a wheeled cart like this one, but it works (for now). As you can tell, it is an older Egg with the old bands and the top does not have a daisy wheel, but it is in great shape. The ring and firebox are intact and there are no chips. dings, etc. on the shell. there are a few drops of paint, but I'm sure that I can get those off. He was asking $500, we settled on $450. Probably not the best deal, but I don't have to do anything to it to use it except clean the grid.

Here are some more pics...

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

It also came with a bag of mesquite lump...

IMG_4123.jpg

He bought the lump at a local liquor store. It is the strangest charcoal i have ever seen...

IMG_4124.jpg

It is actual logs! I'm going to try it and if it burns well I know where to get more.

Sweet. Nothing like having an egg, eggcept having another egg!

Cool. I almost made a deal to trade my medium for a large. Think I'll keep it and keep looking for another large. Cangrats on the new addition!

Nice score! They look so cute together. :icon_blush:

I just want to know what his wife said when he came home with another BGE.:twisted:

I gotta hit up craiglist more often. Seen a lot of people here basically steal :lol:

I just want to know what his wife said when he came home with another BGE.:twisted:

Ummm...

He called me back this morning and my wife and I went to look at it.

Do ya think I'm stupid? I made her a partner in crime! :biggrin: :twisted: :rolleyes:

jestridge said:
The charcoal look half baked.

There were a couple of chunks in the firebox of the Egg. They looked good so I tossed them into the bag, but the whole bag is logs averaging around three inches in diameter and 6-12 inches long. I just wonder how it will burn in the Egg. I can always use it in the Good One since the fire box is bigger.

Congrats Ron!! Looks like a happy green couple there. Maybe they'll have a litter and you can send me one of the egg pups!!

You guys re killin me over here!

Would guess that cart is for a planter. Looks like it is functional though. Nice find.

Nice score on the egg Ron L. That mesquite Lump is the same stuff I buy a Smart and Final here in Oxnard CA. I mix it with Kingsford depending on what I am doing. It burns hot and everynow and then gets a bit sparky. I like it but not straight:lol:

Nice score Ron!!! Glad to see you get there before Dive, he's getting a lil outta control on smokers.....NTTAWWT :biggrin:
Gonna take em both out on the circuit this year??

Would guess that cart is for a planter. Looks like it is functional though. Nice find.

Could be... One guy on the Egghead Forum thought it may have been sold for a Grill Dome or Kamado.

Nice score on the egg Ron L. That mesquite Lump is the same stuff I buy a Smart and Final here in Oxnard CA. I mix it with Kingsford depending on what I am doing. It burns hot and everynow and then gets a bit sparky. I like it but not straight:lol:

Cool... I have 1/2 bag of Royal Oak lump left so I'll mix some with that and try it on some ribs tomorrow.

There were a couple of chunks in the firebox of the Egg. They looked good so I tossed them into the bag, but the whole bag is logs averaging around three inches in diameter and 6-12 inches long. I just wonder how it will burn in the Egg. I can always use it in the Good One since the fire box is bigger.
If you can't use it, as your friend, I would take it off your hands....

You guys re killin me over here!
What, you got $4500 for something more illicit than a BGE!!!

Nice score Ron!!! Glad to see you get there before Dive, he's getting a lil outta control on smokers.....NTTAWWT :biggrin:
With friends like you.....

Great score Ron. I use mesquite lump a lot. It is really sparky when lighting, especially with the weed burner, so be careful. You can always smack the big pieces with a hammer to get them down to size.

Nice score, Ronnie!

The only negative is that the bag says Mesquite on it.

Mine came with that cart, they aren't that stable. I'd get larger wheels if you plan on moving it around the pavers, pull it don't push it or it'll go Humpty on you!

Those chunks of Mesquite look about the same size as the Lazarri I get in the 40lb bags. Bust it up, hit it with the torch and watch the fireworks!

Back