• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Return... it's Bison Brisket

Smokin69th

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
School has had me very busy the past couple of months, so I've been away from the Brethren. So, here is my reboot.

A friend of mine can't eat beef anymore. But bison is on the approved list of proteins. So I decided to give bison brisket a try. It's a pricey piece, and very lean.

uofpWdVh.jpg

I gave it a quick rub with Bovine Bold and a dusting of Black Ops,

ybzvZkPh.jpg

then 2 hours on the Yoder running oak at 225.

M1IyiV3h.jpg

XuNMT8Sh.jpg

Bagged and into the sous vide bath at 135 for 70 hours. I did separate the muscles before the sous vide, so they would fit in the bags.

Skio1p6h.jpg

A quick sear on the BGE at 600 and then rested before slicing.

P3xR5Sxh.jpg

Turned out incredible. Tender, tasty and healthy.

cLsjSX8h.jpg

x9a1KzUh.jpg

Turned out incredible. Tender, tasty and healthy.

If you have a local dealer and can get it reasonably priced, I highly recommend it.

Thanx for looking...

Most times I've seen a smoker/sous vide combo it's been sous vide first, cool/shock, then reheat on the smoker to fer the flavor...did it still have a good smoker flavor doing the sous vide second? I've done neither method so have no idea either way, just curious.

Most times I've seen a smoker/sous vide combo it's been sous vide first, cool/shock, then reheat on the smoker to fer the flavor...did it still have a good smoker flavor doing the sous vide second? I've done neither method so have no idea either way, just curious.

It had great smoke flavor. I wanted to get the smoke in the meat before bagging it. Then let the sous vide bath do the slow tenderization. The next time, I'll plan to the smoker at a lower temp (200 instead of 230) for a bit longer.

Did you chill it after smoking before bagging it?
Would love to taste Bison, we get buffalo ( water) here and I love that

135 for 70 hrs huh...have you ran a beef brisket using those times/temps? I love a low and slow sous vide cook.

Did you chill it after smoking before bagging it?
Would love to taste Bison, we get buffalo ( water) here and I love that

I didn't chill it. It cooled enough for bagging when I pulled it off the cooker.

135 for 70 hrs huh...have you ran a beef brisket using those times/temps? I love a low and slow sous vide cook.

This was the first time running brisket that way, but I've done beef short ribs at that time/temp with excellent results.

Back