Thanks to all for Coffee Brisket suggestions. See the Brisket

The Smokin Texan

Reaction score
Thanks for the recieps. I used the coffee rub and smoked this brisket on the pictured pit for about 7-8 hours. It was delicious and the coffee rub melted into the fat on the bottom side of the brisket and created a perfect outer crust. The only thing I did wrong was I got excited after taking the brisket off of the pit and cut into it imideatly and did not leave time for the meat to cool. About 15 minutes later you could see that some of the juices had steamed out. Overall it was an awsome recipe and made a really good brisket. See photos below.
GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx

I thought it was just me. :)

I've made coffee rubs for everything but chicken and they come out great. I've not ever needed to grind them fine; somehow they grounds just melt in the heat and juices.

How do you put the pictures in to the comments. I was justing pasting them into the text box

The best way to do it is to post your pix off-site somewhere like Photobucket, then just paste links to them in your post. You can upload pix from your hard drive, too. Hit the "Go Advanced" button, then "Manage Attachments" and go from there.

Arlin

Can't wait to see the pron. I won't even cook a brisket without coffee in the rub anymore, at least not one I paid for. 1 part "mother rub" 1 part coffee and sometimes 1 part extra paprika (no sugar for beef). Unlike Arlin, I do prefer finely ground, or at least finer than I grind for my drip brewer, not espresso fine though.

Pictures Uploaded

Alright let me know if yall can see the pics now

Attachments

• Pre cooked Brisket.bmp
    445 KB · Views: 146
  • SS Smoker.bmp
    445 KB · Views: 144
  • Brisket on Smoker.bmp
    445 KB · Views: 143
  • Brisket.jpg
    Brisket.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 135
Pics

Looks like the pics have to be JPEG files. See the additional three.

Attachments

• Pre Cooked Brisket.jpg
    Pre Cooked Brisket.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 135
  • SS Smoker.jpg
    SS Smoker.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Brisket on SMoker.jpg
    Brisket on SMoker.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 133
Type of Coffee

I just used the pre grounded Foldgers coffee. Is there any benefit to fresh ground or possibly instant coffee?

I just used the pre grounded Foldgers coffee. Is there any benefit to fresh ground or possibly instant coffee?

Fresh ground has more volatile oils and flavor compounds as they've not oxidized or evaporated. You'll get a bit more "coffee" complexity with fresh ground. Coffee is basically a spice (it's a roasted seed) and should be treated as such. The better the spices in your rub, the better the rub right?

Looks good from over here.
I've never tried a coffee rub.
Just one more item on the long list of things to try.

Fresh ground has more volatile oils and flavor compounds as they've not oxidized or evaporated. You'll get a bit more "coffee" complexity with fresh ground. Coffee is basically a spice (it's a roasted seed) and should be treated as such. The better the spices in your rub, the better the rub right?

I agree, and would add that coffee is basically bitter in taste. Think beer as an ingredient to a marinade. Bitter balances other tastes, such as sweet, and therefore enhances the aromas that we associate with food. Bitter is fine, but too much can get in the way. Chef Todd English has a steak rub (BBQ USA, Raichlen, pg 703-704) that has coffee as a primary ingredient.

Back