I have a question

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Is the throwdown vote based on

Photograph only, or recipe or originality or creativity... or what?

I mostly vote this way.....First, which one would I most like to eat. Second, overall photo set up, etc. (photo quality excluded, but sometimes used as a tie breaker) Very close second is the technique used to prepare it, creativity, etc. But it's your vote. You could vote on anything that strikes you.
If I had included some fuzzy slippers and a poofy robe would you have voted for mine!!!:becky: Just askin.......

Bob

Last edited:
I don't vote for photography, unless it just showcases an already outstanding recipe and presentation. Creativity on the subject and just plain what makes me hungry are major factors. If photography were paramount, then I'd have more notches in my spatula for the Zero's club.:becky:

I vote on creativity first and most. And then what makes me hungry then by presentation.

There are no rules on how to vote. People are free to choose how to vote. Some look for photo quality primarily, others for how tasty it looks, others for creativity, etc. In the end it all balances out I think because there is no one particular thing that can guarantee a win. I will say that have a nice looking photo is critical though. I have seen photo's of somewhat decent quality beat out photos that could have been magazine covers. However, I have never seen a poor quality photo come close to winning. So being able to take decent photos is important.

I tend to balance if I want to eat it, it would include ingredients and preparation, then photographic quality. I worked for almost 30 years in the photo industry a lot of editorial food photography is completely inedible. I would hate to think people are doing 'heroes' to the extreme. Not uncommon, I once saw a photo stylist sort through 25 lbs of chocolate candy to create the perfect 1 lb box of heroes. I'm a recent (less than a year) Brethren so has anyone noted any trends? Or ding ding that's why the question was asked.
Some of the ribilator images in the past couple of throwdowns were portfolio quality. So much so that I didn't vote for them because the photography was to good. Ain't that a byatch of a catch 22.

For me it is the entry that makes me want to grab it off my my screen and eat it (unless I have a horse in the race :rolleyes:). That takes in all elements, recipe, creativity and photography.

Since you asked....

After cooking the cast iron throw down, I feel like it becomes "just" a photography/food design contest more than anything else. If you go through the comments the voters make it seems obvious that the voters are not paying close attention to anything else. One comment that I remember went something like this " The wisp of smoke coming off the grill in the picture did it for me" That guy clearly voted on the photograph itself. Those with lesser photographic skill and equipment are out of luck. I understand you have to have a good picture but the rest of the creative process of cooking seems to be forgotten.

I understand this is a fun activity and I really appreciate what Chris does to make it go. I do wish how ever that the cooking process had more to do with the outcome.

I'll make this comparison, cooking a dish in a dutch oven over an open wood fire on the ground is a three hour project and no small amout of work to get it right. Several cooks went this route. The winner cooked steaks and veggies on his BGE. Thats not is the same league in difficulty in my book and in the end, one sweet picture of that fine steak dinner determined the winner. The cooking process was no longer a factor. If you can't compete as a photograher oh well....

Zilla made a good point...but that was the throwdown I voted for a cake baked in a dutch oven on a grill with coals also laid over the top cover. The photograph could have been much higher quality but the idea and the actual recipe really grabbed my vote. As I said in that thread, I didn't even have to think about it really. Of course, that entry did not win...

I don't think it's just a photography contest. I do agree with Zilla that in the case of the Cast Iron Throwdown, that puff of smoke probably garnered a LOT of votes. However, I can recall some Throwdowns where entries were posted where MANY people commented that the photo was so good it was well deserving of the cover of a magazine (and it was that good), but it did not win. So the best photograph is not what is required to win. I still say a poor photograph will never win though, no matter how creative or well executed the dish was.

Somebody want to send me their digital SLR they're no longer using?:pray::becky:

ok.. now im not confused at all.

:wacko:

All are valid points....perhaps the throwdown category could be more
specific. Such as: if Cast Iron is chosen again....it could be listed as.

"Cast Iron Cookware only...no cast iron grates"
And so on for each category.

But; there will always be some questions about votes and entries into
each throwdown.

All are valid points....perhaps the throwdown category could be more
specific. Such as: if Cast Iron is chosen again....it could be listed as.

"Cast Iron Cookware only...no cast iron grates"
And so on for each category.

I have not been around here long, but I'm going to voice my opinion,..

I think that the criteria for the throwdown should be left entirely up to the category chooser. I also think it's up to the moderator at hand, to point out if the category could be interpreted "loosely" and offer advice to tighten up the TD title, but ultimately leave the decision up to the chooser, not the opinion of the moderator. (Good or bad)

If you want a Cast Iron Throwdown in cookware only, then win one and select it that way, don't mandate it, I think it lessens what amounts to the reward for winning.

FWIW I loved the winning shot, food and photo and that is a winning combo for me...

JM2C

Mike D

I usually vote on the entry I would most like to sink my teeth into. That is not always the one with the prettiest picture....

I think that the criteria for the throwdown should be left entirely up to the category chooser.

Mike D

That is exactly my point...
people can make it as specific or as
general as they want....thanks..:thumb:

Last edited:
Is the throwdown vote based on

Photograph only, or recipe or originality or creativity... or what?

That's a good and fair question, and, if you consider, that the newest Forum is currently entitled "BBQ Brethren Photo Throwdowns" as opposed to "BBQ Brethren Throwdowns", I can see where the confusion could come from. I, personally, vote for what intrigues me most, whether that be presentation or originality of the dishes offered up for said Throwdown.
Pretty Pictures are nice, but not always that which sways my vote.
Of course, this is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.:wink:

The category is always left up to the chooser, at least that's how I've always done it.

There has never been a request given to me when someone chooses a category to restrict it to anything more than the category. Usually when people ask me for advice or thoughts on the category, it is because they want to make sure their choice gets a fair amount of participation, I've never heard anyone express a desire to restrict it to fewer people. The restrictions are usually pretty clear in the category itself...except in the case of burgers!:laugh:

On the other hand, there have been some where the chooser asked for the rules to be loosened up a bit. For example in the Pizza Throwdown, the pizza itself did not have to be cooked on a grill or smoker and could be cooked in an oven. In that case it had to feature grilled or smoked ingredients and have supporting photos of those ingredients being prepared on the grill/smoker. This was to get more participation by those who could not prepare pizza on their cookers, yet still be in line with the spirit of Throwdown Rule #1 - The item must be grilled or smoked during the cooking process.

I would never tell someone they can not choose a category because it is too restrictive. Just so that is known.:cool: It may not get a lot of entries, but I would put it out there.

I sort of look at it like ordering from the menu. I look for creativity, execution and flat out "imagined tastiness". The photography certainly has a big effect on the last one.

If I had one wish, it would be the option/ability to include a caption of what the item is. I think that it would make the voting more fair if the cook was able to call out that the burger was made from goose, or that the little specs on the bun are pieces of bacon, for example. Of course, direct linking to the specific entry post accomplishes 75% of that...

As for "hero" dishes, I usually make a "special" meal for my throwdown entries. But I actually eat everything I photograph, usually right after...:p

William

Back