• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Nice Surprise for a Friday Morning

R

rockyibt

Got into work today and the chef at work left a note for me to see him. I've been telling him about trying my first attempt at smoking this weekend. I get to the kitchen and he had an 8lb pork butt for me. I asked him how much I owed him and he said not to worry about it!!! SCORE, let's hope I don't screw it up too bad on my first smoke attempt.

Nice score - make sure you bring him some of the finished product

Be sure and take the chef a sample . They might give you suggestions on rub flavors and such things as that.

Free pork is good. Nice score. Just make sure you bring some in for him regardless of how it turns out.

Yeah it's only my wife and I this weekend so I'll have plenty of left overs for him.
Smokin'D, I see you're in N.Andover, any suggestions for where to get meat, I'm in Methuen. The Chef picked the butt up at Fowles in Newburyport?

Pork butt is a very forgiving cut to smoke. You gotta try REALLY hard to mess one up. Take your time. Choose a good rub. Go by temp of the meat, not by how long it's taking to cook. Some adult beverages are pretty much a requirement. I recommend foil and a rest period. Then, tear it up. And DEFINITELY take some to the chef. Then start hinting that your next smoke will be brisket!!:twisted:

What Bob said. :thumb:

Go simple since this is your first one. Don't use too much smoke. :cool:

Yes, Free is always a good thing. Sometimes it's good to be the boss:-D

Leave yourself plenty of time! Don't "plan" a 12 hour smoke with some else at 14 hours, sometimes a cut meat will take longer, with everything else the same!

Bottom line, Have fun!

Nice score! You must have a great boss.. :thumb:

Back