Saturday Smoke

S

Stucue74

Gonna brave the cold tomorrow. Got a butt, 2 baby's, sausage, and a BCC--should be enough for the wife and me. High's forecasted at 30*, this will be the coldest session with Dera for me, any tips to keep temps up besides not peekin'? I've already got some fire brick in the firebox and smoke chamber.

Also, I've done a BCC on my gas grill before but never in the Dera. Do you guys brine your chitlens before throning them in the chamber?

Appreciate your advice.

Follow the example of our fearless leader: Phil.

Lawn furniture cushions, boxing robe, and appropriate footwear :D

I totaly agree about the wind. Keep it out of the wind and it will do fine just as it is already set up. I go a step further, have mine in the garage with a aluminum vent pipe sending the smoke out the window. I will be doing 30 chickens on sunday with temps about 15-20 deg. and will have no problem with my bandera.

go a step further, have mine in the garage with a aluminum vent pipe sending the smoke out the window.

I, too have had mine in the garage. and without the vent or at least a good fan, your garage will be quite smokey. but that's not such a bad thing. just make sure your car(s) ain't there.

btw - here comes a potentially embarrassing question - what's a BCC?

BCC= Beer Can Chicken. Wind is always a problem in OK. Tomorrow wind gust from the North 12-15 mph, that's practically calm here. I have Dera parked behind my house directly South so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Nobody has a comment on brining the BCC in Dera?? Also, the Boston Butt I bought has the bone in. Never done one with the bone in. I guess you cook the same?

I don't bother brining butt chicken -- I inject with cajun butter and rub 'em down.

Yeah, cook a bone-in the same way as boneless - at least I do.

Agree with Chad on the Brine and the bone. With regards to BCC Duh on my part. If you don't mind block all that Norht wind from coming down to Dallas.

brdbbq said:
Agree with Chad on the Brine and the bone. With regards to BCC Duh on my part. If you don't mind block all that Norht wind from coming down to Dallas.

You just better hope I don't load up on baked beans before I get done with the Butt----could be a nasty N. wind :p By the way, the in-laws live in Plano, nice town.

I just got an order for another boston butt for a friend, Dera should have plenty to work with.

Live on Eats side we are use to smelling $hit.

Bryan it doesn't take much to cut the bone out. I take the bone out of all my butts before cooking. Use a knife that doesn't have much height to it and just follow along the bone.

Well, we're mid stream into the smoke. Nothing like blue smoke breaking up a 30 degree sunny day. Fire seems to be doing great...not as much wind as predicted, although my pool's still frozen. Hopefully I'll post some positive results....

Happy Qing!

I don't miss them cold days! I'm originally from Chicago, moved to the New Orleans area 10.5 years ago and have never looked back!

Back