First Pron post on the Bretheren - My spin on Cupcake Chicken

Mahoney86

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Always wanted to give this recipe a whirl so I made a few modifications and I must say I think I nailed it.

Im dabbling with trying comp que this year so I modified myrons chicken rub and put a little heat behind it. Used a blackberry/vinegar/hickory bbq sauce for the sauce which brought some nice sweetness too it, but I would like to add a little more sweet next time around I think.

Im focusing on all wood cooking this year, used oak for duration of cook. Smoked in tin muffin pan at 300* for 1.5hrs skin side down with a sliver of butter on top.

Flipped chicken and put back in tins skin side up for 45min at 300*

Removed from tins and placed on rack for 30*min at 325* and basted the chicken for the last 10min.

Small Hot fire

image2_zps4d38e5ee.jpeg

Finished Product with dipping sauce ( no one used it since the chicken was already moist enough!! )
image3_zpsef5c68f7.jpeg

Bite through skin and a clean bone!
image4_zps1fce7169.jpeg

Thanks guys, I was really pleased with how it turned out, though I know why if its a comp why people told me I should cook 2-3 muffin racks of these so you can get consistent looking pieces. Id say out of the dozen I cooked there was probably 4 good looking ones that really fit in the muffin tins. Almost all thighs required some serious trimming!

Wow, that puts my chicken to shame.

Looks like you nailed it!

Dave

That look's great. I've been thinking about giving this recipe a try, I'm just to lazy to trim the thighs as much as required to fit in the molds.

You do realize we're gonna demand more out of you now, don't you?:hungry::thumb:
No problem there.. Need as much critique as I can get if im going to try this comp thing by the end of summer!

That look's great. I've been thinking about giving this recipe a try, I'm just to lazy to trim the thighs as much as required to fit in the molds.
Ill be honest out of every meat ive trimmed up, this was certainly the longest and probably hardest. I wanted to make sure I had the thighs all the same size and have them perfect 3-4" squares. I thought I had a good Hinckle knife set, but to get these trimmed up real well and to get every little piece of fat off you really need a ultra sharp knife.

Those do look comp worthy!!:thumb:

Thanks for that comment! My friends/family always tell me its comp worthy but I always think what the heck do they know about que. Like I said a few things I would like to work on, getting them more uniform and my round etc... I also found some rectangular cupcake tins, was thinking maybe a rectangular thigh might work better than a ball, Ill have to give it a try

Those look delicious. What do you do with all the trimmings? My dogs wanted to know!

Back