Help with Thick Baby Back Ribs

S

sigmasmokers

Hey guys. Been away for a while. I have my 1st contest of the year in 2 weeks and I have a question. After last year, I was contacted by a local meat market that wanted to provide our meat which is great but I like turning in BB ribs and theirs are so thick that by the time you get the tenderness where it needs to be, the meat is so heavy it is hard to keep on the bone. It makes for great eating but I'm concerned with the scores. Should I have them trim some good meat off the top or give the judges the meatiest ribs they have ever eaten?

I don't know about competition, but I have never had anyone complain about too much meat on the ribs. Ours have more than any restaurant people have been to.
I'd give em the meat.

Steve--welcome back!

I would really like to have your problem, but find it hard to visualize :lol:
PIC maybe????

Whilst judging, I have never been turned off by "too much meat" on ribs, or anything else.

As to texture, maybe you just need to back off a bit on time to get them "bite off the bone" done--just guessing. Like I said- hard to imagine.
One thing I have learned in the last year or so is to adapt to "what you have" for the base product.
This "adaptation" might work out to your advantage :lol:
And, the price sounds right :lol:

Good luck!

TIM

Back