Hot Tub Turkey?

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been having a lot of fun with Hot Tub Chicken. What do you think of Hot Tub Turkey for Thanksgiving?

Seems to me it ought to work on a bigger bird with a little extra time.

This what you mean?

chicken-hot-tub.jpg

I did find a recipe called Hot tub chicken.

MustardLemonOliveChicken_2.jpg

If you're not familiar with chicken in the tub, here you go...

Hot Tub Chicken - Spatchcock a chicken, make a nice garlic/oil/spice wet rub and insert it under the skin of the chicken.

Make a nice oil/onion/garlic/mustard/lemon/spice bath

Gill the chicken skin side down just long enough to get color and bite-through skin.

Then put the bird into a large foil pan, skin side up and let it burble in shallow bath you made earlier.

Great flavor, moist and tender.

So then you are just braising it... I see no reason why this wouldn't be good for anything. Make sure to reserve the juices at the end for stock/gravy.

The name reminds me of "trash can turkey" (still my favorite way to cook a whole turkey).

More of a braising process than basting.

But now I have to know how the heck you cook trash can turkey?

More of a braising process than basting.

But now I have to know how the heck you cook trash can turkey?

Burn out a galvanized trash can (or find one that is not galvanized). Put a piece of re-bar in the ground. Line and wrap it with foil (enough to extend past the diameter of a trash can). Stand turkey up on re-bar (or a couple stacked). Cover with upside down trash can. Put as much charcoal as you can on top of the trash can (get in tight to seal the edges of the can good). Put the rest of a bag of charcoal around the edge of the trash can. Light both piles. Let cook for approx 4 hours depending on the size of the bird(s). Carefully remove charcoal (with shovel of course) and can. Eat! It works great for cooking onsite (construction, masonry, etc). Save the can in your truck for the next cook. :wink:

Burn out a galvanized trash can (or find one that is not galvanized). Put a piece of re-bar in the ground. Line and wrap it with foil (enough to extend past the diameter of a trash can). Stand turkey up on re-bar (or a couple stacked). Cover with upside down trash can. Put as much charcoal as you can on top of the trash can (get in tight to seal the edges of the can good). Put the rest of a bag of charcoal around the edge of the trash can. Light both piles. Let cook for approx 4 hours depending on the size of the bird(s). Carefully remove charcoal (with shovel of course) and can. Eat! It works great for cooking onsite (construction, masonry, etc). Save the can in your truck for the next cook. :wink:

You can also start a fire around the stand and burn down to coals. Rake coals back, place bird and can, bank coals on side of can and top. This will cook a little faster as the ground under the can is pre heated and the missed coals will give up some smoke in the can.

I have a garbage can dedicated to turkey, I use chicken wire around it though, not foil to hold in my coals. Takes a lot less than 4 hrs, my last bird 15lbs was well done in 2hrs.

Another trick I use is a put my rebar through a bundt cake pan, This does two things, one if the turkey falls, and it does sometimes when it gets well done, it fall on a pan, second I catch all the juices and make gravy.

The name reminds me of "trash can turkey" (still my favorite way to cook a whole turkey).

i have also done trach can turkey . But i use the small grate of a smoky joe . Put four inch legs on it . wraped it with foil .Placed the bird on it . Put the can over it . Put kingsford match light on the top (about 8 ) then put the rest of it around the bottom edge . Light and when the heat is almost gone remove the can . The best turkey . Also have done hams .

I have a garbage can dedicated to turkey, I use chicken wire around it though, not foil to hold in my coals. Takes a lot less than 4 hrs, my last bird 15lbs was well done in 2hrs.

Another trick I use is a put my rebar through a bundt cake pan, This does two things, one if the turkey falls, and it does sometimes when it gets well done, it fall on a pan, second I catch all the juices and make gravy.

I do not pre-light my coals, so that probably adds a good bit to my time and I have a habilt of not thawing my bird out as much as I should. :mmph: I also like to throw two birds on the re-bar. Great idea with the chicken wire, BTW! Need to try that.

Back