Doing rabbit for the first time, any suggestions?

inv3ctiv3

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just bought a 3.2lb rabbit (all organic, veggie fed, etc) from a local farmer and was either gonna smoke it or do it on my Santa Maria Pit. I've never cooked a rabbit before so I am totally new to this, any suggestions? Do I cut it up or cook it whole? What sort of spices/rubs work with Rabbit? :blabla:

Thanks!

I think this guy might have a good recipe:

elmer_fudd2.jpg

I've never eaten domestic rabbit but have eaten many a cottontail rabbit. We breaded and fried them. Always brined them in salt water overnight. We cut them up into five pieces. Two rear leg quarters split, back, and then the two front leg quarters split. Wild rabbit is about as lean a meat as I have ever eaten. Even leaner than deer. I think it would turn out dry in a smoker but then again I have never tried smoking one. Rabbit is very good. I would like to know how yours turns out.

I have had rabbit cooked in a crockpot with mushroom soup.
I believe I would do a search on those type recipes.

I have had rabbit cooked in a crockpot with mushroom soup.
I believe I would do a search on those type recipes.

Rabbit is very tender cooked in a crock pot with veggies.
I grew up eating rabbit... Mostly fried. It was always good.
(In my case, you had to make sure you didn't bite into a #6 shot...)

We had an abundance of 'Cane Cutters' on the river bottom, just down from my house.
Every kid around killed them. Some were huge.

I sometime do a Rabbit in a Dutch Oven with Mushroom type gravy.
It's very tasty.
I think Rabbit would need a lattice of bacon and/or, possibly cooked in a pan of broth
if your gonna smoke it.

Last edited:
It's so lean, I'd braise it. Love braised rabbit in chicken stock, buter,onion,carrot,celery,chopped bacon and paprika plus sweet peppers or red bell peppers.

I never et no tame rabbit.The best WILD rabbit I ever et was brined overnite then dredged in seasoned flour and browned on both sides in a CI skillet,then put in a 300 degree oven til done and tinder(145-155 Internal temp).Served with rice,gravy and biskits.It was cut up.2 front legs.2 hindquarters and the loin.YUMMEE stuff!

Smothered or fried are my two favorite ways to eat it.

If I were to try making BBQ Rabbit, I would give it the ole competition chicken thigh butter bath treatment.

Not even kidding!

My favorite way of eating it is sauteed with some oyster shrooms. I have tried it over the grill but is a very lean animal and dries out quickly. Brining and searing over a fire then smoking may work, but I wouldn't leave it out for too long.

My kids raise domestic rabbits for 4-H. Big white New Zealands, 5-6 lbs., each and smaller Dutch.
Its WAY easy to turn them into rabbit jerky on the smoker. or the grill. they are just too lean. I prefer either in the crok pot with some sort of mild flavred gravy, if you use cream soup go low salt, or baked covered in veggies and tomatoes like a pot roast.
If you want to grill them go for a fast sear, a minute or so each side then get them well off to the side and finish indirect. I never have temped them on the grill but try hard not to over cook and let them rest before serving.

I would fry it maybe even deep fry it do it like chicken. Rabbit is a very healthy meat high in protien low in fat.

Are you gonna cook it on or off the bone?

I like rabbit saddles (boneless portions) wrapped in bacon. You basically wrap them up (and truss them), crisp up the bacon exterior in a cast iron skillet and then pop in an oven at 325 to roast till you hit 155 internal. You're looking for 160 finish temp. Optionally, you can glaze the outside toward the end. Serve with some roasted vegetables.

Be sure to take pics, I really am interested in the result, but don't have any experience with cooking wabbit to share :)

My wife reminded me of on that I did on the rotisseie on the gasser last summer. Skewered it and let it spin untill the legs moved easy in the joints. Gave it a brush with Italian dressing every so often, she says that was the best way.

Back