A BBQ Newbie with a dilemma over my Grilla Silverbac

I dont really see the issue. The timing kinda sucks, its a bummer and maybe they could have announced it better, but you were not "taken advantage of". You ordered, paid for and received the old model. You did not order a new model and receive the old model or anything screwy. Worst case, Mark Graham is guilty of being a wanker. I would not worry about it.

I cant count how many times I have bought a new computer or whatever with the new Pentium 5 chip, I get home and open the box only to look up and see an ad on TV for the new Pentium 6. Tis life...

Last edited:
"I talked Mark Graham the sales and engineering Manager, the guy in all their videos. He stated he knew this would make some people mad, and offered no compromise or remedy for someone like me who was receiving an old model after the new model was released. He further stated if I refuse shipment Grilla Grills will charge me $300 for shipping and a 10% restocking fee, and told me to buy a grill from another company".

This alone is enough for me to never consider a Grilla Grill.

Agreed, and not only because of the way they handled the customer before he even got his grill delivered. If they treated him like that before they even delivered the grill, what's their support going to be like once he takes possession and passes the point of no return?

In such a competitive market like today's pellet grill market, customer service is huge. Grilla missed out on making a customer happy, and it wouldn't have cost them much to send out some goodies to make up the difference. I think the general sentiment of this thread would be the complete opposite if OP had called to voice his concern, and Grilla had said, "We hear you, and while we can't swap out the grill, how about we send you a bag of pellets, a shirt, a hat, and coffee mug (or whatever) to help you feel better about your purchase?"

No, they certainly wouldn't have to do that, and the OP is owed nothing by Grilla, but it would have been good PR to do so, and it's something other pellet grill companies have done.

I've had MANY conversations with Mark Graham over the last 18 months or so and I have a very hard time believing he spoke to you the way you're suggesting. The guy works 24/7 and calls people with issues on Sunday night at 10pm if there's a problem. Unless you were severely rude to him I just will not believe he told you to stuff it and buy another grill...no way in hell.

To the people in the this thread I can assure you the customer service at GrillaGrills is top notch. Mark Graham is a hell of a nice guy and has gone above and beyond for people with issues. When their grills were new they had some small issues with doors warping and other things, and within a few months they had corrected the issue and sent out new doors to everybody who was having issues... free of charge.

I ordered a ceramic kamado from them about 2 years ago and unfortunately it arrived shattered. Within 5 minutes of me calling them another one was on the way and they were amazingly apologetic. They also threw in a free heat deflector and pizza stone as a way of saying sorry.

I've had my Silverbac for about 3 1/2 years and love it. The problems I did experience early on was a bit of user error and when I reached out to them they, Mark, contacted me right back on the weekend making sure my experience was a good one. Which, again, for the last 3 1/2 years has been a great one, and i've burned through more than a few pellets. I agree with JoshW above -- the upgrades wouldn't do much for me but a friend of mine just ordered one this week, after spending some time at my house "helping" me cook on mine, so I'm interested in seeing the upgrades in person.

The takeaway from this is I believe you should enjoy the food that comes off either one so I wouldn't feel too slighted.

I've had MANY conversations with Mark Graham over the last 18 months or so and I have a very hard time believing he spoke to you the way you're suggesting. The guy works 24/7 and calls people with issues on Sunday night at 10pm if there's a problem. Unless you were severely rude to him I just will not believe he told you to stuff it and buy another grill...no way in hell.

To the people in the this thread I can assure you the customer service at GrillaGrills is top notch. Mark Graham is a hell of a nice guy and has gone above and beyond for people with issues. When their grills were new they had some small issues with doors warping and other things, and within a few months they had corrected the issue and sent out new doors to everybody who was having issues... free of charge.

I ordered a ceramic kamado from them about 2 years ago and unfortunately it arrived shattered. Within 5 minutes of me calling them another one was on the way and they were amazingly apologetic. They also threw in a free heat deflector and pizza stone as a way of saying sorry.
Could be Mark was just having a bad day. Could be the OP was rude and demanding, but the tone of the original post doesn't come off that way.

Hopefully, the truth is somewhere in between. Would be great if Grilla followed up with the OP to try and make peace. This is one of very few bad experiences I've heard about Grilla, but if the OP is being truthful, it's a very bad experience, in my opinion. As I said before, the type of customer service a company provides is often the difference in an industry like pellet grills. Good to hear about your great experience, though.

I’ve worked with Mark Graham in the past
Bought 3 Grillas from him
We even disagreed on one issue BUT
He and I worked through the issue
Sorry your discription of him sounds totally out of character to me
I count him as a friend and one of the good guys in BBQ
sorry man
Enjoy your grill/smoker

A lot of manufacturers in the BBQ industry have a reputation for excellent Customer Service. What you describe does not sound like you received good service. Maybe the person you spoke to was having a bad day. I would call them back or send an email to the owner or president and explain your disappointment in your experience. See how they respond.

Back