View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonC View Post
Although my brisket didn't score well last time, I think that was a function of tenderness and not taste. My theory across the board is to stay with consistent flavors between my rub and sauce, so my sauces have always been flavored primarily with the rub that I used on the meat. At the moment my favorite brisket rub has been the Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub, so thats what I've been using in my sauce. My competition sauce recipie was as follows:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon Molasses
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Hard Times Cafe XXX hot sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons Dizzy Pig Cowlick Rub
1/4 c of drippings from the brisket (preferably seperated of fat).

Combine all ingredients, simmer on low for approx 75% until it has reduced by 25%
Sounds good Nelson. Thanks for that. Looks pretty interestin. I had molasses in my brisket sauce too, and kinda like what it did....then started thinking it tasted a little too malty. But 1 TBSP is much less than I was using. Will try this. Guess you grind up the cow lick fine?

Hmm. Now I am gonna have to cook up a brisket before the comp to get some au jus. At the comps we don't wrap our brisket until it goes in the cambro, and we only end up with a couple tbsp of fat in the foil.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, and good to hear you are using cow lick!
Beers
Chris
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote