Pickled cherry peppers

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not BBQ but its gonna be a rough month waiting for these to cure.
myny4a6e.jpg

Those look great! Are they really hot, or just hot enough?

Oh Yeah! And once you eat the peppers, you can use the leftover juice to make a finishing sauce for pp:eusa_clap

I Farking love those things. Care to share your method?
Thanks and sure:
Use really fresh peppers. Not sure how much I should have weighed them but when I cut them in half and deseeded them, it was enough to fill the three pint mason jars.

I then heated the following until the sugar and salt was disolved:
--4 cups white wine vinegar
--1 1/3 cup water
--1/2 cup sugar
--1.5 teaspoon kosher salt

Next pour the hot liquid into the jars leaving 1/4 inch headroom.

Then can them for 15 minutes. They will last for years but likely wont "last" that long. I do let them "marinate" for at least a month.

Those look great! Are they really hot, or just hot enough?

The last time I made them I didnt take out the seeds and they were really hot. I am hoping that without the seeds, they will be just hot enough. This is only the second time I am making these so I will likely need to tweak it a little. If I can find more cherry peppers I might make a match with twice the sugar :). Next up will be sweet and spicy pickles which I might just make with the cherry peppers. Need to experiment.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the questions. Hope I answered ya ok.

Lookin purdy there!:clap:, loves a pickled cherry pepper over here!!

The Momofuku book by David Chang has a very simple vinegar pickes master recipe:
1 cup water, piping hot from tap
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
2+ 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
Vegetables, fruit, chilies etc
For chilies pour marinade over 4 cups of Thai bird's-eye or other small fresh hot chilies. Leave for 3 or 4 days minimum. Keep for an age. I grow my own chilies we call them scuds - very hot.
John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 70
Those look great. I love pickling my homegrown peppers, ect. I have a jar of pickled beets in the fridge that I'm going to have to go open after looking at your pron!

Back