View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #10
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The cost is a huge deal to me...flats are $5.99/Lb while whole packers are $2.98/Lb (at Sam's in club in my area, both Choice). Best of both worlds is to buy the full packers and spend the extra minute or two and separate the muscles yourself. Save the points (refrigerate or freeze them), and then you'll have enough burnt ends to go around for future cooks.

I buy Choice packers and separate them so that both muscles can be watched and pulled off the smoker at different times if needed. Choice flats are great and when it comes to a cut like brisket there is usually little to no difference between Choice and Prime. Remember, the entire carcass is graded rather than individual cuts, and the ribeye are is the main point of attention when determining the grade of the carcass. Cuts like brisket aren't focused on during the grading phase, so Choice vs Prime is usually not much of a difference at all when it comes to brisket.

Butcher BBQ put out a great video showing how to easily and quickly separate the flat from the point; I'm leaving it here just as a reference.

https://youtu.be/a-fI7n7eqJM?t=46

Thanks from: --->