• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Curious: Front Yard/Driveway Cooking

Nothing, as long as you place them near the car on cinder blocks.

Sounds like you have very strong opinions on what other people do on their own property. Why would it matter if someone rolls a cooker out of their garage and cooks in front of their house? This offends your delicate sensibilities?

Out my front door gives me lots of pros vs cons. I have level ground, a covered porch in case of rain, and am just steps away from the kitchen for prep. Only a sick SOB would cook out the back door. :grin:

I've been looking through bbq/grilling sites for years and I often come across pictures and videos of people grilling and smoking in front of their houses in their driveways, for all the world to see. And this runs the gamut from small kettle grills, Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, offset smokers, etc. In all my years of living in suburban neighborhoods, I have never once seen anyone doing this. It's always done in the backyard. Why would anyone smoke or grill in front of their houses? It seems like a backyard activity to me.

When I had my backyard offset I felt bad smoking out the neighbors and their kids in the backyard constantly for endless hours. Cooking in the driveway would have been better and not bothered anyone. Grilling...backyard.

I have no windows, other than bedroom windows, facing the front of my house. That makes it difficult to see if my front yard is on fire. I also think it's a little weird but that doesn't mean people shouldn't do it. I'm also paranoid that someone would steal my cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old house was on a corner lot with the drive way and garage facing the side street.
That's where all the cooking took place.
New (17 years) house, all takes place in the back with the exception of the Blackstone, which lives in the garage which opens to the side of the house.
But never in the front yard.
That's just weird! :laugh:

My garage door and driveway are on the side of the house. Previous owner built an addition to the back of the house (Florida Room) with the door also on the side. I have no door or patio in the back. I keep my GMG JB in the garage and just roll it out into the driveway to cook. This way I also have easy access to the kitchen.

I also have a small gas grill and my Santa Maria grill that I leave outside on the side of the house. Dave Fisk built my santa maria with the end of a propane tank, 3/8 steel. No fear of rusting out.

RIP Dave, we miss you.

Well my stick burner would not make the corner to get behind the house without running over my fire pit. The kettle ant drum and the griddle are right outside the kitchen door because that makes things easy. But then again my driveway is a dirt road.

My cookers are all over the place. lol My "yard" area is around 3 acres.
I cook north of the house, when the southern summer wind just about knocks me down.
There are several cookers behind the house, close to the patio and swimming pool.
A couple of cookers by my shop.
A couple on the back deck.
My smokehouse and block pit are south of the house.....
and the underground pit is anywhere I can get the backhoe in to dig it! :laugh:

I live in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors here. :grin:

Last edited:
Sounds like you have very strong opinions on what other people do on their own property. Why would it matter if someone rolls a cooker out of their garage and cooks in front of their house? This offends your delicate sensibilities?

I’ve lived in all types of suburbs and I’m pretty sure that in any of them, if I put outdoor furniture, a hammock, smokers and bbq grills in my front yard or in front of the house at all, I would hear complaints from the neighbors. Sorry if I offended a few here, but it seems very unusual to do this, unless there’s a necessity, as some have described here.

My cookers are all over the place. lol
I cook north of the house, when the southern summer wind just about knocks me down.
There are several cookers behind the house, close to the patio and swimming pool.
A couple of cookers by my shop.
A couple on the back deck.
My smokehouse and block pit are south of the house.....
and the underground pit is anywhere I can get the backhoe in to dig it! :laugh:

I live in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors here. :grin:

Best scenario.I am building a new home on the Old Home Place.I can cook wherever I want and still not have to see nosy neighbors.I can't wait! :thumb:

I’ve lived in all types of suburbs and I’m pretty sure that in any of them, if I put outdoor furniture, a hammock, smokers and bbq grills in my front yard or in front of the house at all, I would hear complaints from the neighbors. Sorry if I offended a few here, but it seems very unusual to do this, unless there’s a necessity, as some have described here.

Some gotta do what they gotta do.I understand that.Big trend around here is folks hanging out,kids playing in front yard.Gotta be careful coming in from work,snots will dart out into the road in a flash.They all have fenced in back yards but also have Adirondack chairs and such sitting out front like it is Mayberry.I have not seen any cooking/ grilling out front though.We hang,play and cook out back.Nothing against the ones that do.Different strokes.Just not my thing.I like my neighbors but I like my privacy when relaxing even more.

Jeanie...
If the wind is knocking you over you need to hit the gym or drink less! [emoji2135] [emoji33] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some gotta do what they gotta do.I understand that.Big trend around here is folks hanging out,kids playing in front yard.Gotta be careful coming in from work,snots will dart out into the road in a flash.They all have fenced in back yards but also have Adirondack chairs and such sitting out front like it is Mayberry.I have not seen any cooking/ grilling out front though.We hang,play and cook out back.Nothing against the ones that do.Different strokes.Just not my thing.I like my neighbors but I like my privacy when relaxing even more.

The Mayberry part is interesting to me. I read about a community being built in Amarillo a few years ago that had very limited backyard space. The idea was to encourage interaction between neighbors by not letting everyone literally hide behind their backyard fences. I do think privacy and boundaries are good, but if any of my neighbors were cooking something in the front of their house I wouldn't give it a second thought.

The Mayberry part is interesting to me. I read about a community being built in Amarillo a few years ago that had very limited backyard space. The idea was to encourage interaction between neighbors by not letting everyone literally hide behind their backyard fences. I do think privacy and boundaries are good, but if any of my neighbors were cooking something in the front of their house I wouldn't give it a second thought.

It would not bother me at all if the neighbors cooked out front.It is just not something I am going to do.That is their business,not mine.I like my fence and my back yard.

My problems have problems...

Farkin’ addicted to cookers and couldn’t resist buying a stick burner cheaper than I could have bought for a ‘backyard’ model.

But it didn’t fit in the backyard, so I cook in the driveway and buy extra meat to feed the neighbors, sometimes...

No issues so far and with fortunate landscaping, parking the truck in the right spot and a place to tuck myself in the garage, I get a enough privacy but would still prefer the backyard.

Smoke gonna roll, front or back.:grin:

Back