Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Well there you have it all summed up. Sounds like a huge DONT DO IT that our parents warned us of. Then we do it anyway. OK whos next?

A lot of my friends have tried to encourage me to start my own restaurant or food truck. I do not have the entrepreneur spirit to put it all on the line to try to make it work! The margins on food are slim and the work is long!!!!!

My hat is off to the OP for making what sounds like a SUCCESSFUL go at it. As a business, it sounds like some stuff went wrong in a perfect storm. But it sounds like the people loved the food and you were good at it! I wish you much success moving forward!

He was quoting a business man in a thread about a business...

I'm guessing the quote isn't the problem - the false attribution is. It gets attributed to Winston Churchill as well (as do many things), but apparantly he didn't say it either. Basically a quote in the thread was faked to falsely attribute a quote. Not sure why anybody would do that. :noidea:

Anyway - fark all that nonsense - marbuzo - thanks for keeping us posted! I hope to check out yer cooking one day. All the best to you - you've certainly busted yer butt and perservered, and it is inspiring to see. I have learned that I'd rather eat delicious homemade pickles and read about somebody else running a restaurant instead of doing it myself!

I'm guessing the quote isn't the problem - the false attribution is. It gets attributed to Winston Churchill as well (as do many things), but apparantly he didn't say it either. Basically a quote in the thread was faked to falsely attribute a quote. Not sure why anybody would do that. :noidea:

I had never heard the quote myself until reading it here. But thank you for the reply as it got me to Googling and that gets one to learning!

A lot of my friends have tried to encourage me to start my own restaurant or food truck. I do not have the entrepreneur spirit to put it all on the line to try to make it work! The margins on food are slim and the work is long!!!!!

My hat is off to the OP for making what sounds like a SUCCESSFUL go at it. As a business, it sounds like some stuff went wrong in a perfect storm. But it sounds like the people loved the food and you were good at it! I wish you much success moving forward!

I agree and disagree, the cost of a spouse is hard to quantify both financially and emotionally. Your correct sounds like he had things nailed pretty well, but business can always be fickle.
And I too lack the intestinal fortitude to start a business so I appreciated the story.

It was a combination of a lot of things. Financialy not viable, debt, divorce, trying to open a second location, bank backing out of financing after tens of thousands spent on said new location, etc.

There was no single thing that led to its closing, but rather a lot of things that happened all at once making it clear it wasn’t going to work out. Things probably could have been salvaged, but at some point you have to decide whether to cut your losses and move on or potentially get into an even worse situation.

Life is full of opportunities. The restaurant had a good run and I learned a lot of what needs to be done, and more importantly, what shouldn’t be done. The prized pig was a success in a sense, but the location and business model I put in place, along with marital problems and expansion plans at the time, made for a situation where a decision had to be made.

I had my opportunity, and along came another opportunity. In the end that didn’t work out either. But more lessons learned. But guess what? There are so many other opportunities out there. I’m in the process of helping open two brand new bbq restaurants. I may end up becoming the executive chef. I may become a partner. I even have an investor who wants me to blow those offers off and open the prized pig again in a new location.

Closing the prized pig wasn’t the end. It was just the beginning. A stepping stone. A learning experience. That chapter may have closed, but bigger and better opportunities are abound. I don’t know where this journey will take me just yet, but I foresee good things happening in the world of bbq. And I will update when I can. But be sure, more bbq is coming.

I truly wish you the best jeremy, and that snake oil salesmen quit seeking you out and using you for what they lack and for you to make them look good.

Hopefully i can get to your area some day and try ry some of your food.

To give you the other side of the coin, this thread is:
  1. how I found and joined this site two years ago.
  2. the reason why I chose NOT to open a BBQ restaurant

I, like a lot of others here on this site and in this thread, do side jobs via private chef or catering gigs and all my customers/friends/family said "you should open a restaurant!" I gave it serious consideration two years ago and got to googling. This was one of the threads I found and I read all 190 (at the time) pages. I was a member of a few other bbq forums but once I found this one, the rest dropped off and I ended up joining here.

I'm very thankful Jeremy took the time to chronicle his story here. Funny enough, I was following along real time as he posted his story on a home-brew forum as well. Was really awesome to put two and two together years later.

The honesty and peeling back of the curtains into what really goes on when opening and operating a business was enough for me to say "nope, I'll continue catering for the time being."

It's easy to get swept up in the romance of BBQ and chasing your dream, but I'm VERY thankful this accounting of it keeps me grounded.

Greetings,

Fellow brethren here in Wilmington, NC. First, id like to thank Jeremy for his years of providing updates to this thread. It has truely been invaluable to me as I am in the process of opening a smokehouse here. I read through the 200+ pages in 2 days. So thank you Jeremy. My question for y'all is would anyone be interested in me sharing and updating you guys on the progress of my new venture? I hope this isnt me hijacking the thread, i just figured it was sort of relevant.

Smoke on,
James

Greetings,

Fellow brethren here in Wilmington, NC. First, id like to thank Jeremy for his years of providing updates to this thread. It has truely been invaluable to me as I am in the process of opening a smokehouse here. I read through the 200+ pages in 2 days. So thank you Jeremy. My question for y'all is would anyone be interested in me sharing and updating you guys on the progress of my new venture? I hope this isnt me hijacking the thread, i just figured it was sort of relevant.

Smoke on,

James

Hell yeah James! Good luck - I think we'd all love to follow your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be in Wilmington/Topsail for the next two weeks and then again in July for two weeks. Let us know what you end up doing!

Awesome! Hopefully you will have nice weather and the pollen won't kill you! I'm actually looking at a fairly quick upfit (knocking on wood) and if everything goes smoothly (although this thread should be my warning haha) a July opening is what I am aiming for. God willing I don't encounter all the nonsense Jeremy did.

I’m in as well. Would love to follow your journey. I live near Raleigh and frequent the coast of NC and SC so I will have to stop in and check it out this summer/fall.

Back