July 4th 2020 MM Rib Cook

Hotch

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Hotch
Yesterday we cooked up 6 slabs of ribs. 2 full spares and 4 St Louis.
I decided to cook these the same as Myron Mixon had done in one of his "My Way" videos he has posted during the China virus epidemic.
Half went his "Marinade Style and the other three went " Injected"
So, taking notes while sober watching the video, I had a game plan.

We went to work at 5:00am on the 4th.

Trimmed all 6 while Shelly made the marinade and injection mix.
Dropped 3 in the marinade then in fridge till 8:00pm
Fired up the Shirley for warmup with some Stubbs briquettes (Not the best but were $2.00 a bag years ago, so they get to heat up Shirley!)
7:15am started injecting the 3 non marinated slabs and applied the Suckle Buster rubs. Honey BBQ on the marinated and Hog Waller on the injected.
8:00am all ribs on meat racks bones down for 1 hour @275 to set the rub
9:00am rotate ribs to bones up and start the spritz for every 10 minutes for 30 minutes (So 4 times)
9:50 (Opps I went a bit long!) I added 2 cups of apple juice to each of the three pans, put the the meat racks (each one has 2 slabs) in and cover each pan with foil leaving one corner open to vent.
I rotated the pans every 15-20 minutes CCW L to R and with the upper rack til noon.
12:00 Straight up I temped the ribs per how Myron said and should be at 207.

And what do you know! 4 hours in they were all between 207 and 210!!
Just as he had said.
I pulled them from the cooker, removed the meat racks from the pans and sauced 4 racks and spritzed two.
Back in the Shirley for 5-6 minutes to set the sauce.
Pulled them sliced up a few slabs.
He may be loud, bold and have an attitude at times but these were not only the best I've ever cooked but the best I've ever tasted.

I pulled the bones on the other slabs, well most were falling out, just the way I like my ribs. Then I cut each slab in half, panned them and in the fridge, Later I vac bagged and sealed each then off to the freezer so we can sous vide at at latter date. :mrgreen:

2020-07-04-001.jpg

2020-07-04-003.jpg

2020-07-04-007.jpg

2020-07-04-016.jpg

2020-07-04-017.jpg

2020-07-04-020.jpg

2020-07-04-028.jpg

2020-07-04-030.jpg

2020-07-04-032.jpg

2020-07-04-036.jpg

2020-07-04-038.jpg

Looks like the set of a tv show. Everything looks really good. Kinda tuff to have a nice set up like that in MI

Absolutely killing it! Those Sucklebuster rubs are all good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just curious, why do you put the ribs on their own separate elevated rack? Is this to keep your grates cleaner? Your food looks amazing! I’m jealous of that nice setup you have in your backyard. Nice cook hotch!

Hotch, Wow!! Oh Wow!!!
Them racks look perfect, and I like the way you got them there!!

What a Oasis you have there, nice set up for cooking and relaxing!

Just curious, why do you put the ribs on their own separate elevated rack? Is this to keep your grates cleaner? Your food looks amazing! I’m jealous of that nice setup you have in your backyard. Nice cook hotch!
Those are the meat racks that Myron uses and sells.
We cook a lot for Suckle Busters at various retailers all over. I have quite a few cooking racks and tray as to facilitate getting the items we cook on and off the different cookers we cook on. Be it a pellet pooper, BGE or a KJ. So if I'm cooking our Suckle Busters 1836 Texas Burger Balls, it's usually 30-40 at a time or 30 wings. So efficiency is key to success.

But this was a cook like Myron Mixon does it.
And so I found 4 of these. Not at has web site store but here locally.
Myron is all about the correct process to deliver the best product he can at every comp he enters.
These along with the correct process will set the rub, allow him to sauce the ribs and not break the rub surface.
Along with minimizing touching and moving the slabs as not to tear the rib.

It was a pain to follow it to the T but I can honestly say, he did deliver a process that allowed me to cook the best ribs I have ever done! :mrgreen:

Back