Nova Scotia

gsmith

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The wife and I are heading to Nova Scotia this weekend for a quick getaway.
We are spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in Baddeck and Sunday night in Saint John NB.
Looking for any hot spots/must see and or eat in those areas not necessarily bbq.
Thanks in advance

That is a lot of driving for a quick trip! Southernsmoker has great BBQ (almost) on the way. I stopped in a few years back:
http://www.southernsmoker.com/index.html

There is a thread here, but unfortunately, photo****et won't show any of my pictures:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168899

Also, nearer to you is B.T.'s Smokehouse in Sturbridge. This is one of my favorite BBQ restaurants in the country. :hungry:

Other than that, you're going to a part of Nova Scotia I'm not as familiar with.

Also, on the drive up, we always stop at Nook and Cranny's just before you get to Calais. We've had some surprisnigly good meals there.
http://nookncrannyrestaurant.com/

Thanks Gore, 13 hours each way isn't considered a quick trip? :laugh:

Gore, do you remember going through the tolls in Canada? Did they take american dollars or do we need Canadian money from the get go? Thanks

Thanks Gore, 13 hours each way isn't considered a quick trip? :laugh:

It's 21 hours each way for me. :laugh:

Gore, do you remember going through the tolls in Canada? Did they take american dollars or do we need Canadian money from the get go? Thanks

I believe all the tolls accept US money, but we didn't get to Nova Scotia this or last year. The one in St. John is only something like a quarter. You should have stopped to get some Timbits before then.

14 1/2 hours up and 13 1/2 hours back. Absolutely loved Cape Breton.
One toll each way which was 3 or 4 bucks. We had Canadian dollars by then so no biggie.
The thing that caught me off guard was the train tracks crossing the Trans Canada Highway. You don't see that very often.

Don't think I know that toll. I'm guessing it might be the causeway to Cape Breton. I haven't been up that way in decades. It was really beautiful. Anything you want to share for next time?

Next time I would stay longer. 2 or 3 days on Cape Breton then explore other areas of NS. The Cabot Trail is stunningly beautiful which has us thinking of a trip to the Pacific Coast Highway as neither my bride nor I have ever been.

Next time I would stay longer. 2 or 3 days on Cape Breton then explore other areas of NS. The Cabot Trail is stunningly beautiful which has us thinking of a trip to the Pacific Coast Highway as neither my bride nor I have ever been.

That's what keeps us going back year after year..., well, that and my wife's family. :becky: In any case, you're from Connecticut. It's easy for you to get there. I've got an extra 10 hours driving!

Beautiful province! I drove through on my way to North Sydney and took the ferry to Port aux Basques. I too wish I'd had more time to explore.

That's a beautiful place! Hope you'll enjoy the sceneries and their specialty foods!

Back