• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot Tamale.........Pron

Great looking tamales there Bob, I like the custom tamale spreaders, stupid me, I bought some silicone spatulas for mine. Your boy looks like a character, can he get a whole tamale in there?

If you are getting carbon, you needed to add water to the steamer pot a lot sooner.

Looks great Bob! I've made them a couple of times before and I can attest to the amount of labor that goes into them. I learned to prepare everything and then have friends over to actually put them together. On your original post, in the second picture, what is the pot with the turn handle on top?

Thanks,

Mick

I like your dad's tip for using a slotted spoon, that is a keeper, even for an experienced tamale maker.

hmmm, a fattie with a tamale in the middle?

Awesome job Bob. The family cooking heritage is such a great to pass on down the line. Thanks for sharing and have a Merry Christmas.

These things really are a labor of love. I tell you, I'd give anything, to be able to have one more "Tamale Party" with my grandparents and entire family together again. The good thing is we were able to have enough of them that I can still cherish the memories. Also, because of them, we created some new ones with my parents, and now with my kids too.

Bob, I wish I could have sat in on one or two of your family Tamale parties too. :wink: Looks fantastic!

Bob those tamales are a thing of beauty . Many thanks for the tips . Hope I get the nerve to try them.

I would sure like the Red & Green sauce recipes or are they family secrets?

Those tamales are amazing! You are my hero.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48865&highlight=chile+colorado&page=2

My basic red chile recipe is in this thread. I keep it simple. In this batch I did something a little different. I carmelized 3 small onions and one whole clove of garlic and then pureed them. This puree went inot the red chile. Then just salt and pepper. I also used regular red chile pods and also some guajillo. The guajillo will give more depth, color and richness as well as some heat. For a one gallon bag of pulled pork I use about 4 ladles of chile concentrate. I wanted the meat to get coated but I didn't want the mixture to runny either. The rest was put into the freezer.
My green is basic too. Same as the red with the garlic and onions. Those go into the blender with one bunch of cilantro, one jap, 1tsp of dry chipotle pepper flakes, 1 whole chipotle pepper, 1tsp oregano, s and p. This then went into a pot with one can of chicken stock and I let simmer for about an hour till it reduced again. I added a few pats of butter and a few dahes of wooster sauce too. I came out to about two cups of concentrate. This was mixed with a one gallon bag of PP. Then I added 12 chopped roasted Hatch green chiles. I don't cook these down so they maintain some texture and flavor. Since this concentrate was very thick, I added a ladle or two of chicken stock that I made out of 3 chickly legs. The meat from the legs went into the green chile mix as well.
Thanks Larry! That compliment means a lot to me coming from you. :wink:

Great looking tamales there Bob, I like the custom tamale spreaders, stupid me, I bought some silicone spatulas for mine. Your boy looks like a character, can he get a whole tamale in there?
That boy is quite the character, but his little sister makes him look tame. I average about 3-4 gray hairs a piece with those two just about every day. The two of them can put those tamales down. Even though they were spicy, they didn't stop eating em. It was a ratio of 1 to 1. One bite of the tamale and one big swig of ice tea. But they ate em. The spreaders are also one of my grandpa's old tricks.

Looks great Bob! I've made them a couple of times before and I can attest to the amount of labor that goes into them. I learned to prepare everything and then have friends over to actually put them together. On your original post, in the second picture, what is the pot with the turn handle on top?

Thanks,

Mick
Mick,
That's a food mill. Basically a strainer. There is more info and pics in the I referenced above. It can also be used to mash things like taters, squash etc. My mom gave that one to me cause she bought a bigger one. Seems like most of my gear and been passed down and has a story behind it.:wink: I use it to mostly strain the large skin fragments and the seeds.

Bob, I wish I could have sat in on one or two of your family Tamale parties too. :wink: Looks fantastic!
I tell you what, with the skills you got........you would have fit right in with my grandfather and grandmother. I can see my grandfather talking your ear off and trading tips for cooking whole hogs and everything with you.

Thanks again everyone!

Bob

i'm gonna smash me up a custom masa spreader today and do these up with the kids. and bob, those tamales look fantastic. thanks for starting this thread.

scott

PS: looks like work might be sending me to TX in january or february. don't be surprised by the gringo rooting around in your freezer!

Very nice looking Tamales. I need to step-up my game, and actually make some, always buy them:redface:. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks again everyone.
P.S. I'll be sure to warn my wife about the gringo and the freezer!:lol:

Looking good Bob. Just pulled pork shoulder out of the freezer to smoke tomorrow for our New Years tamale party. Making a cheat sheet out of all the information from you and the rest of the brethren. Hope everyone is having a good Christmas.

Oh, there is no comparison between home made and store bought. Whish is hard to believe but, it is true.

Back