Starting our Catering/Vending Biz

getyourrubonbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

A couple of opportunities have presented themselves and well, after a long period of thinking, wanting, dreaming, wishing I'm finally pulling the trigger and starting my own Catering business. I'll be building a trailer to basically handle my needs for strictly smoked meats. Nothing outrageous or to big, but big enough to anticipate growth. Going with an 8.5X20 with 6' porch that will house an FEC 300.

I'm excited, but yet nervous as well about the whole thing. I'll be able to set up on Saturdays at one location with a nice amount of pedestrian traffic flow. I was going to build a trailer later in the year for comps, but now I'll just build it for both. I'm sure I'll have questions for some of you catering pros out there and would like to thank everyone in advance for any advise you may have.

So here we go question #1, I was thinking about setting up a couple of EZ ups with 6' tables and chairs for folks to sit and eat after purchasing. Does anyone else do this.

James

I actually set up a 6' folding table under one half of our 10'x20' EZ-up tent with about 6 folding chairs at the Farmers markets. People seem to love it as they can sit and relax while eating and enjoy our bbq. I would say 80% or more sit down and eat at our table. I also always have extra camping chairs or folding chairs that people use when all the chairs are taken.

James good luck in you catering and vending biz, you will love it.

Check with your HD, here in Virginia they won't let you put seats and tables out without having bathrooms. Not even a picnic table.

Check with your HD, here in Virginia they won't let you put seats and tables out without having bathrooms. Not even a picnic table.

Thanks, I've still got to do some "fine tuning" with the local folks, but I'm not sure that will be an issue since the location I'm setting up in has public restrooms already.

Good idea James. The farmers market I did last year set table and chairs for us and people loved it. I plan to be able to have an eating eare under my larger umbrella depending on where I'm vending.

Change of plans, going with a SP SPK-500 for our smoker choice. Plans are in the final review stage and hope to have the trailer complete by the 2nd week of April. I'll post project status photos when possible.

Yea, you know I want to see the pics too and good luck, I am just seeing this thread!

Well it's going to be a combo between comp and vending. Normal setup for vending, but added a 11' powered awning for a little shade and considering exterior speakers for a little XM radio on board.

Sinks have been delivered and the SPK-500 is getting fresh paint. Going old school with this smoker, black exterior paint and diamond plate face with stainless doors.

Sounds like you're making the same leap I am James! Congrats! :eusa_clap :-D

Back