Am I the only one....

W

Willie's BBQ

Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat??:confused: Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..:tape:

Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat??:confused: Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..:tape:

Because that would make way to much sense and make our lives easier. That's like asking why they sell 8 hot dog buns in a bag and a 10 pack of hot dogs......:crazy::becky:

I don't have the answer but I have not done competitions. I have judged (KCBS certified) and I think it might have something to do with the symmetry of 6 perfectly placed, identical pieces of chicken in the presentation box. Just my 2 cents.

I don't have the answer but I have not done competitions. I have judged (KCBS certified) and I think it might have something to do with the symmetry of 6 perfectly placed, identical pieces of chicken in the presentation box. Just my 2 cents.

Must be a six-pack mentality:confused:

Yeah, I don't want to take this off topic, but if I were making a governing body from scratch, I'd require (2)half chickens be cooked.

Also, what's worse is those chicken squares are looking more like chicken balls recently.

Because even, symetrical, simliar looking pieces of chicken are appealing to the eye, lumpy, uneven, ragged not so much. Looks goods...tastes good kinda thing.

FWIW, I know a pretty successful KCBS team that turns in thighs that look "tidy" but are not uniform (ie, square or round) and score very very well on a regular basis.

For us on the other hand, our chicken doesn't taste good enough for it to look less than perfect:doh:

Since last summer all the chicken I see in the judges tent looks like a round biscuit cooked in butter or parkay margarine. But that is just my thoughts.

You're all missing the obvious... it's hip to be square! I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. Off to the penalty box...

Yeah, I don't want to take this off topic, but if I were making a governing body from scratch, I'd require (2)half chickens be cooked.

G$, I love that idea. Last year in Dover, I did just that. Had to cut it up to get it in the box. Needless to say I didnt do well, but at least I beat out Paul Peterson :thumb: of course I had no idea what I was doing. At least it looked like chicken.

However, I have to agree with Smokin' Joe. Symmetrical pieces make a better presentation and that's 1/3 of the score, aint it?

I would think part of it is to show the judges they are all tasting the same exact piece of meat, with that said, then the burden goes on the judges to hopefully have consistent scores... Am I expecting too much?
Let's just hope the trend doesn't carry over to Pulled Pork. It might be tough getting pieces of pulled port to look alike...:noidea:

Since last summer all the chicken I see in the judges tent looks like a round biscuit cooked in butter or parkay margarine. But that is just my thoughts.

Merl, I understand you can tell a round biscuit, but how do you tell it was cooked in butter or parkay just by looking? :doh:

I always thought it was so the judge with the small piece didnt get chicken envy!:p

I would think part of it is to show the judges they are all tasting the same exact piece of meat
I just don't see how one could demonstrate that with chicken. Unless you've gotten hold of a Chernobyl chicken with six legs!

I have to admit that I don't like "machined"-looking pieces of chicken, but I don't like raggedy, untrimmed chicken either. There's a middle ground of nicely trimmed, presented pieces.

I agree!! Here's something funny. When I first started competing last year before all of this competition chicken research I have been doing I placed in the first 2 competitions in the chicken category. All I did was lightly trim, marinade, rub, and smoke. After those 2 competitions and some heavy research I practiced and competed using the bone-out, heavy uniform trim, scrape skin, parkay bath method and haven't placed in chicken since then! :confused: I guess it's time to go back to basics and keep it simple!

I agree!! Here's something funny. When I first started competing last year before all of this competition chicken research I have been doing I placed in the first 2 competitions in the chicken category. All I did was lightly trim, marinade, rub, and smoke. After those 2 competitions and some heavy research I practiced and competed using the bone-out, heavy uniform trim, scrape skin, parkay bath method and haven't placed in chicken since then! :confused: I guess it's time to go back to basics and keep it simple!

We got a first place chicken in Taylor (in 2008 I think) without trimming, deboning, or scraping.

I just don't see how one could demonstrate that with chicken. Unless you've gotten hold of a Chernobyl chicken with six legs!

I have to admit that I don't like "machined"-looking pieces of chicken, but I don't like raggedy, untrimmed chicken either. There's a middle ground of nicely trimmed, presented pieces.

I don't agree with the cloned look of it either, I see it as the trend though.
The chicken we usually put out resembles small catchers mitts and by the score we recieve... they must taste like a mitt too!:heh:

As an outsider looking in (to the KCBS world) it appears that appearance scores do indeed have more weight than the score sheet would tell. Just because appearance is supposed to matter the least doesn't mean it won't effect the other scores in a detrimental way. If this were not true than why are folks still using garnish and producing ultra uniform unnatural looking chicken? If it really doesn't matter if a tray is garnished or that chicken pieces are naturally different from one another and are presented in their natural form then why does it seem to matter so much? It either matters or it doesn't, it can't be both.

Because it's harder and takes more skill to sculpt chicken. There is no rule that says you need to conform to this standard. Be a REBEL - c'mon, go for it!!!! :)

It either matters or it doesn't, it can't be both.
Honestly, I think it can be both.
I think it does matter, all other things being equal -- but it doesn't matter as much as some think it does.

Good chicken doesn't have to be in unnatural shapes, but unnaturally shaped chicken still has to be good.

Back